SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gsciencechick

Update from estate auction

gsciencechick
12 years ago

Thanks for all your suggestions. They were extremely helpful, and we were extremely successful! It was a LONG day! We got almost everything we wanted except for one small charcoal sketch. But we got the "big stuff", the Drexel Counterpoint two-piece credenza and sofa. These were ordered original when the house was built in the late 50's, and the owner recently passed away at age 96. Total mint condition. The sofa looks blue, but it's really green with some yellow/gold through it. I was about to pull the trigger on a new sofa in chocolate brown when I heard about this sale. Truly what RetroRenovation would call a TimeCapsule home, including a pink and a green tile bathroom.

We also got an old stereo cabinet we're using for a bar, and some wall art including a Van Hoople painting (haven't hung it yet).

There was really only one other couple bidding on the Drexel items. They got the dining room and the side chairs for a steal. Attendance was excellent, but most people were not interested in the MCM furniture. OTOH, had this estate auction been in a more trendy part of the area, we never would have won this stuff.

It's home, and we are loving it. We brought the credenza and the Van Hoople yesterday and went back with a Uhaul cargo van for the sofa and cabinet. We do plan to get the sofa re-upholstered eventually, but there is no hurry since it's in fabulous condition for its age.

Thank you for all your help. I realize we hit a home run on the first bat here, LOL. We could have come up totally empty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Navigating estate auction

Comments (18)