SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nutmegxo_gw

UGLY refrigerator - searching for solutions

nutmegxo
13 years ago

We are in the process of making improvements to our kitchen...we painted our pickled "pink" cabinets a nice crisp linen white. We just ordered beautiful granite countertops. We painted the walls a rich dark red color (SW's Wild Current). And in the near future we will be tiling the backsplash and floor.

Last weekend our refrigerator conked out on us - so it was perfect timing to purchase a new one. We bought a GE Profile stainless steel french door (freezer on the bottom) refrigerator with interior LED lighting...it is perfect in every way.....well perfect in every way EXCEPT the sides of it are hideous! SO UGLY!!

We did not realize this in the store because all the refrigerators on display were right up against each other and it never occurred to us to look at the side of the cabinet. When the delivery guys were bringing the new refrigerator into our home, my husband and I gasped when we saw the ugly sides of it. They are a dark grey color supposedly to "blend in" with the stainless steel front. But in our opinion it is terrible looking. Only one side of it is visible because the left side is against a wall. But the right side is exposed and I am desperately trying to come up with "creative" ways to cover it up.

We asked the appliance store about this to see if we could order stainless panels to apply over the sides and they said they did not have such a thing. Apparently this is how most stainless french door refrigerators are manufactured nowadays so we have to deal with it as is.

Here is a stock photo of the refrigerator we purchased:

{{!gwi}}

I am thinking that others on this site have encountered the same problem. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear about it. I am thinking that it would be great to put up stainless panels to cover it up but then again the stainless might not match the front of it. Then I was thinking of getting a giant calendar and sticking it up there with a magnet. Children's artwork???? HELP!

Comments (43)