SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tetrazzini

What to do with 6' bookcase? Too short

tetrazzini
11 years ago

I went to Brimfield for my first time yesterday! I found something that i loved, and might go back for tomorrow. It's a bookcase, I guess, or more likely general storage for the old European home it was built for. The problem is its height. It's about 6' tall, 4'wide. It's unique and has graceful, curved lines, but at 6' it's lower than the two door frames it would sit between in the upstairs hall. I won't be using it for books, more likely to store linens. It's got open shelving, but maybe I could hang a fabric in front. Maybe this particular piece isn't practical, but I often see antique cabinets of this height, and they're awkward in 8' tall rooms.

Any ideas about what to do to make it fill the space better? Besides putting things on top of it? I guess that's worth trying. I'm even considering building a 2' tall chest to sit under it, and painting them the same color. It needs a coat of paint anyway.

I get frustrated when I see a beautiful piece of furniture but don't know what to do with it! Thanks for your help.

Comments (11)