SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runninginplace

Seagrass Rug for DR?

runninginplace
15 years ago

I am definitely in the paralysis analysis stage of this decorating decision!

I have an L-shaped LR/DR and now that the walls in both are painted a nice silver sage variation, the blue rug in the DR just isn't working. I have been trying to figure out what to put in there and seagrass is looking like an interesting option. The flooring is red oak, and the furniture in the LR is a combination of leather and cane, a la British Colonial.

Here is the dining room. Ignore the wall color, it is nowhere near what it really looks like:

And here is the living room (DR is on left):

For some reason I can't get a picture of a sample of the rug with binding so here are separate images of what I'm considering:

Rug

Binding

I am going for a neutral, calming look. Obviously the blue chairpads are outta there...I found some nice brown Chris Madden ones on sale at Penney so those are in the closet waiting till I put a new rug down.

Thing is, I originally thought of getting a nice neutral wool area rug. But, prices have gone to the moon! I can't seem to find anything for less than $400 and the seagrass from sisalrugs.com is only going to be ~$250 for the bound 6x9 size, less if I don't get the extra protective coating. If I just get the rug alone it's only around two hundred bucks. Free shipping to boot.

So, thoughts about how it would look? Durability? Ease of maintenance? I've got 2 teenagers so eating is no longer the bacchanalia of dropped food and spilled drinks it once was. Always said I'd never do fiber rugs but I'm very tempted because of the price, as well as the much vaunted textural natural look.

Yes? No? I don't know? (Now I want to sing the rest of the Malcolm in the Middle theme...:).

Ann

Comments (10)