SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cloud_swift

Part 7...Slice of Life

Cloud Swift
10 years ago

I spotted this fellow while working in my office this morning and had to go out to take a picture. He let me get quite close - closer than my iPhone would focus.

Comments (150)

• User
    10 years ago

Yikes tha pic should have had a warning so glad she was hiding for that second one.

• louisianapurchase
    10 years ago

Love the spider web pictures. They are such works of art and their creators are such amazing creatures.

Also, the Clydesdales are something to behold. They've been to our town a couple of times to be in the Mardi Gras parade and for several days beforehand they allow visitors to come to the stables where they stay. So fascinating, although DS2 was just as or more fascinated with the dalmatians. Annie, those horses from the fair are beautiful, esp. the little girl on top of the friesian, she is precious.

Oakley, that picture of your grand is priceless. I would have that enlarged and framed in a heartbeat.

All of the pictures are such a joy to look at. Though I haven't posted here in a while I do check in from time to time and these are the threads I particularly enjoy. It is such a nice way to see a little into everyone's life and feel like you know them.

Here's a small glimpse into mine. Here are my two loves. One just started his senior year of high school and the other is in first grade. This picture is really special as the youngest is autistic and it is very seldom that we get a picture of him. This was yesterday evening at my step dad's surprise 70th birthday party.

• Related Discussions

A porch swing is an important part of farm life!

Q

Comments (8)
    I had one made out oak 6 foot wide a lot room and sleeper are napper with big pillow. Very costly wind chm low tone. Its out in weather 16 foot post and long chains makes good cruiser used about 2 hours aday good weather. Setting in there yesterday late watching hummingbird working in butter fly bush lol. The smell Carolina jasmine come by swing from half way across yard. Pick hand full sugar snap sweet peas for green snack. I enjoy my swing.
    ...See More

post a pic ..part ll..a slice of your life...

Q

Comments (152)
    I just wanted to say thank you again for the sweet, sweet comments! We have two boys (2.5 and 6) and I never thought that we would make the jump from 2 to 4 children all at once, but we are looking forward to it! I hope that the picture thread continues! It's been so much fun to see what everyone shares! awm03: That is an amazing picture! jillinnj: I wish I was there too! I told DH that we need to go on vacation somewhere now, because we're probably never going on vacation again after the babies arrive! ;-)
    ...See More

Part 8. Slice of Life

Q

Comments (122)
    Our leaves are finally turning, and this is what I drove into when I went home for lunch today: ********WARNING***** Before 9am this morning there was SOMEONE ELSE'S PHOTO in the place of this one--- it was somebody's saw from an above post. Gardenweb, please get it together! The fact that this could even happen means your program is a serious DUD. My picture is back now, but I am really shocked that these single photos posted from a personal source--- computer, phone, ipad--- can float from one person's post to another. I will never post a single photo from a personal source again--- photo sharing sites ONLY. Wow. This post was edited by kswl on Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 9:25
    ...See More

Slice of Life (End of 2013) PART 9

Q

Comments (69)
    You are a brave lass to take a stroll today! Im in DC area and it was 15 driving into work today at 9....our birch tree had dumped a pile of snow on my car as I pulled out and some did not blow off while driving so I stood outside at work this morning in the windy weather shoveling the snow away from the wipers so they wouldnt get stuck for the ride home...brrrr...would have never considered taking a walk!!
    ...See More
  • joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Nice looking boys Louisiana!

Outside---that is some web!

Still enjoying all the pics!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

oakleyok, remember I said your GD reminded me of myself as a wee one? Well I managed to find an old pic of me that was in color. I'm guessing I was about 4 at the time. Mom dressed my bro and me as bride and groom for halloween. I never realized until I saw the pic now that she designed my gown after her own that she wore when she married with the illusion neckline. She was such a talented woman!

• louisianapurchase
    10 years ago

Thank you Joanie!

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

My back is out of whack today so I'm laying on the floor for a bit...and my little friend seems worried and determined to stay close.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Sometimes when I open this the pictures showing are not with the correct post. Particularly funny today is sueb's comment about her little friend staying close by and the picture is Bethpen's and the small fish she caught. So my question would be: is sueb's little friend Bethpen or her fish?

The first time a misalignment of pictures and comments occurred, someone mentioned a pix of their kids and there weren't any kids in the pix. I thought "huh?" Then as I continued to scroll, I realized a pix that I knew belonged further up the thread was now appearing in the wrong spot.

Does this happen to anyone else? I usually just close the thread and when I go back to it another time it's okay.

• Danahills
    10 years ago

Annual buffalo round up in Custer State Park in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

A few pics from my walk in the woods today. Love to walk in fall...cooler and less buggy...except for the acorns which act like roller bearings under your feet....as I went sliding down a hill! Reminds me of the earlier thread on light/shadow.

Then coming out of the woods, I pass a log cabin...so pretty with stained glass windows, clerestory windows, but they are putting up a privacy fence, so I could only catch a glimpse through the fence.

Then the folks on the dirt road who have such a lovely setting...

and they created a glen across the road and added some "sheep".

• badgergal
    10 years ago

I apologize for once again posting pictures of my first grandchild but I just can't help it. She is my life right now. And she is so darn cute.

Waiting to make her first jack-o-lantern

Here she is 12 weeks old and already planning mischief with her 6 week old cousin.

This post was edited by badgergal on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 11:45

• User
    10 years ago

Badger, she is truly adorable and obviously a great blessing to her family... no need to apologize for your wonder and enjoyment, some of us are enjoying the pictures more than you know! I love baby pictures and she is extra special.

• annac54
    10 years ago

There's a local small farm about 1 1/2 miles away from us. Couldn't resist getting a picture of one of the fields near the road.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Jstell, we love Custer State Park! Thank you for the great shot of the roundup! Haven't been there for that yet, but it is one of the loveliest parks we have visited.

Badgergal, don't apologize. She is adorable, and I don't blame you a bit for showing off this precious child!

Annie, are those real sheep? That was like a walk in the park with you.

Louisiana, I love the pic of your boys too, so handsome and fun!

I just enjoy whatever anyone puts out there. Keep 'em coming.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Nope, they're "sheep"...haven't moved in years.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Today I finally sorted through hundreds of photos from our trip to the southwest in June. Even though we have great pics of amazing scenery, this was one of my favorites. DD and me in our hotel room in Sedona.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

My youngest turned 6 last week. Even though he's not a huge fan of cake, he insisted I make one for his birthday and kindly drew his design concept for me.

He went over it with me for several days (he can be a nag) to make sure I understood that there had to be a cave, Thomas, giant centipedes AND Iron Man even though he didn't draw him.

Thankfully, it passed inspection!

• Olychick
    10 years ago

alex, that is the most adorable cake ever. So nice to see something for a kid's birthday that is personal, made with love, and not completely over the top like so many things for them have become.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Well done Alex! I did make a doll cake for DD one year but the extent of my decorating a cake was usually taking one of the paper plates with whatever theme we were doing and making cutouts and plopping them on the cake....pathetic! You done good!

• sameboat
    10 years ago

Alex your cake is fantastic! And I think it's hysterical he drew a plan and your cake looks just like it! Way to go!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

So many great photos!

SueB,

What a sweet candid photo! Plus it's nice to have a face to a name now!

Alex, Too cute. Plus I love that you did it without going all Martha Stewarty. I also love the way he used the wrong side of the notebook paper. SO sweet.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Hahaha! I'm not even remotely a cake decorator, or a baker! When I started, it was challenging but simpler. Only one character to concentrate on, but their requests have gotten more and more complex. I've had to use props, like on this one, for anything to be recognizable :)

Definitely not professional, but the kids love them. I'll probably be fired when they worry about what their friends will say, hahaha!

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

Sands Point Preserve, NY

• User
    10 years ago

Not much happening here. I am home from my trip to Vancouver but I suppose I have taken this threads theme a bit too literal while cooking dinner Sunday. I applied pressure right away and taped it up before looking. Yesterday I looked as it seemed to get more painful. Worse than I first thought and too late for stiches. Cheers to a REAL slice of life.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Owie!

• mustangs81
    10 years ago

Oh my, yes, yours is the literal posting of a "slice of life". Sorry for your pain.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Was helped over The Rainbow Bridge yesterday, Sept.30th, at 2:30pm. He had lived with me (and many dogs over the years) for 15yrs. He was spunky and as smart as a dog sometimes. He was diagnosed with liver cancer, but was a tough little guy until finally he seemed to look at me and say, "I'm really sick now". Laid to rest in the orchard beside his best friend, Annie the terrior mix. Bye Meow-Meow.

• User
    10 years ago

Sorry for your loss.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

(((HUGS))) to schoolhouse. So, so sorry for your loss.

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

Schoolhouse, he was very handsome. I'm so sorry for your loss.
    BethP

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Oh, I'm so sorry. I know what it is to lose a kitty. Unfortunately, losing those we love is also a slice of life. Amazing, though, how they tell you when it's time. They seem to go gentle into that good night....

• texanjana
    10 years ago

(((Schoolhouse))). So sorry for the loss of your precious kitty.
    I went to visit DD at college in Memphis last weekend, and snapped this pic with my phone after dinner one night.

• mustangs81
    10 years ago

I am saddened to hear about your kittie.
    My Buster Frank is 17 years old and I don't know how I will handle it when it's his time. He sleeps on top of me, all 17 pounds, I will miss my buddy.

• awm03
    10 years ago

schoolhouse, I'm so sorry. Such a sweet looking little thing...

ClBlakey, how's your finger doing today?

I'm still getting a kick out of seeing everybody's Slice of Life pictures. Such beautiful scenery & sunsets, and the families are great too. Alex's cake instruction guide made me laugh.

• User
    10 years ago

I spent the whole day with my 24 year old son today working on his steampunk halloween costume. The hat turned out awesome so he took it home with him. This is what we have so far for the arm not all attached yet. finger is doing fine but the bandage is covered with spray paint. I probably won't look at it until next week some time.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Ready or not! Here comes fall!!!

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Yesterday, I took my 3 month old granddaughter to visit her 93 year old great grandmother. My MIL is amazing. She still lives independently and does her own shopping, cooking and cleaning. She goes to an exercise classes twice a week, swims laps twice a week and walks every day. Her mind remains as sharp as a tack. She had knee replacement at 85 and was back to walking 2 miles a day within 3 weeks. At 92 she had carpel tunnel surgery on both wrists so that she could keep doing all the activities she loves. She is a breast cancer survivor. And even with macular degeneration she is almost finished with the counted cross stitch quilt topper (you can see it on the floor next to her chair) that she is making for the baby.

• Janice742
    10 years ago

We just returned from a fabulous trip to Ireland. Here is a shot of our first pints of Guinness:

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Badger, that is wonderful!

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Thanks mntrdredux, I am doubly blessed to have a beautiful grandchild and a wonderful MIL.

• Janice742
    10 years ago

Badger, for years I resisted getting close to my MIL - based purely on nothing more than immaturity.

Thankfully, I "grew up" and we are now very close. She is very much like yours - albeit a "young" 78 - but I see her following in your MILs footsteps.

Annie - simply stunning. Mother Nature is amazing... both in big and small ways... isn't' she?

I do love this thread.

• User
    10 years ago

Annie thanks for bringing fall back to me LOL no leaves on the trees I look at daily.

Badger what a spry great g-ma how great is that.

• dawn_t
    10 years ago

Heart warming and touching photos posted above. (((Hugs))) to those with recent losses.

I don't take many photos, but wanted to capture my few flowers before the hard frost hits tonight.....

Dawn

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

This little girl (I think) has been hanging out in my garage for the past week. She is super sweet. My cat wouldn't like having another cat in the house, and DH will not approve of us keeping her I'm sure. It is VERY rare for us to have stray animals around, so I'm going to attach a collar to her today and hope that she goes home and the people call me. I'd hate to bring her to a shelter or give her away and then find out she is someone's pet already. I'd really like to keep her though. :)

Beth P.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

A gorgeous, sunny day here today (drastically different from the horrible storm we had last weekend). Doggy event down at Riverfront Park-included rabies vaccinations and licensing. My dogs were scofflaws-their tags had expired and there was an amnesty opportunity. So off we went.

They were having K9 police dog demos-YIPES!! Raffles, give aways, pet parades and a pet costume contest. This giant girl caught my eye-her brother was dressed as a biker, and he was even bigger than she was!

• Danahills
    10 years ago

We had a very unusual blizzard Friday nightI to Sat. We had temps in the 70's a few says ago, all the leaves were still on the trees and my flowers were still blooming. This storm shut down almost al the black Hills. Downed trees, downed powerlines and driving forbidden on city and county roads, it is a mess. The picture is showing our porch. We usually only get a smidgen of snow before Halloween.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

bethpen, she's a pretty one and looks sweet. No chance you couldn't give it a try?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Oh my jstell! Brings back some not very fond memories of our Halloween storm...the snow weighs so heavily on the trees that the just come down, wires included. I remember being up at about 1 am that night listening to tree branches cracking and dropping. Just awful. We were without power for a week. Hopefully, it will turn warm again to make clean up easier.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Good Heavens, jstell! I'm on the opposite side of the country and it couldn't be more different.

It is FINALLY 65 this morning, with low humidity-raining a little but feels GREAT. Yesterday it was in the 90s and 70% humidity.

My yard still looks like summer.

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

CatMom, I am considering it. I didn't get my hands on her yesterday to put the collar on. So funny, my DH hasn't seen her yet! For some reason she disappears whenever he is around. She loved all the teenaged boys who were here Friday night, some of whom are big, so hopefully she isn't afraid of men.

In the meantime, some fleas showed up on my dog Oscar. Of course DH is blaming the stray...I'm going to try to dust her with a little Diatomaceous earth. Until I know she doesn't have a family I wouldn't feel comfortable using Frontline or anything more aggressive.

I included a photo of His Highness, depressed about his flea bath.

Beth P.

• Danahills
    10 years ago

Annie and Alex, it is 60 and sunny here today. The snow is melting quickly. But, we live 1/3 mile down a dirt road and because of drifts, my DH has not been able to plow us out yet. We have not been without power, but friends have been without power for 3 days. We were having a lovely fall before this storm happened.......