SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homebound_gw

cloth wire - neutral?

homebound
15 years ago

Appreciate some help confirming whether this switch leg is wired properly or not in my friends' 1910 house in DC. The current light works, but I don't want anything to be "backward" or mislabeled when I replace with a ceiling fan.

The power is at the ceiling box (cloth wire - one pair in, one pair out in the box itself, plus the existing switch leg via a raceway on the surface of the ceiling. Black pigtail leaves box, connects to switchleg white (goes to switch), returns black from switch (black), connects to fixture's black, and then fixture's white/neutral connects back to the box (on a white pigtail) to what the voltage tester says is hot (??) (If the switchleg is disconnected, that presumed neutral is still hot - can that be? I might be slow tonight, but maybe I'm just testing a complete circuit, so it would test hot anyway - right?

Can you tell this sleepy handyman whether there's a way to discern the feed and neutrals, etc without disconnecting the cloth wiring in the box? (BTW, what happens to the fan if it were to be wired backwards on the switch leg?)

Thanks very much.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz