SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gedman

Help with choosing a portable generator - please !!!

gedman
16 years ago

I want to buy a portable generator, mostly for piece of mind - but also to keep my family somewhat comfortable and my sump pump running in the event of an extended outage. I searched & read lots of posts on this forum, and "Googled" plenty of sites, and I am still in need of advice.

Basic facts: I have a 2,300 sq ft home. I want backup power to run basic necessities:

* gas furnace (forced air w/ electric blower)

* refrigerator

* two sump pumps (one light duty and one heavier duty, but neither one runs much even during major rain)

* 10-12 19w compact fluorescent bulbs

* possibly run the clothes washing machine occasionally

* a few smaller items like a radio, cellphone charger, etc.

I plan to have a generator panel added by an electrician to supply power to my 200amp house panel. I'll shut off the breakers for all non-essential house circuits when using the generator.

Question #1: What wattage should I get?

Online wattage calculators seem to indicate around 7,500W. It is highly unlikely that my 2 sump pumps and refrigerator compressor all startup at the same time creating high peak demand. Of course, I'd rather have too much than too little power available.

Question #2: What brand?

I don't mind paying more $ for a quality product. I want a generator that will last, is easy to maintain, and local repair shops will not have a problem getting parts/fixing/servicing as needed. It sounds like OHV engine is a must.

Question #3: What features?

I like the idea of an engine that throttles based on load (or at least idles when there is minimal load) to conserve fuel and noise. I have no idea if I need DC power or an inverter. A wheel kit would be necessary. I'm not sure how I'd keep a battery charged to make use of electric start. Fuel gauge, low oil shutoff/alert seem obvious.

Question #4: It is feasible to use a 20-25' cord to connect the generator to the panel?

Thanks a MILLION to anyone who can help me with this decision.

Gedman

Comments (6)