SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theslim

Short(?) in wiring due to accident... am I screwed?

16 years ago

I'm a musician by profession, graphic designer by trade. I wanted to install some surround sound speakers above my kitchen, but had to run electrical to them. No big... I bought a new outlet, some wire for it, a nice little box to make it tidy and did the install.

Tested everything... good to go.

Now here's the problem: I had just finished the wiring and cut out the rest of the drywall to replace it... I had some of the wires close together (the hot wire and ground were actually touching) My wife had just walked in the house and was unaware of my project... she tried to use an applicance that was on the same breaker, it obviously didn't work, as I had switched it off before starting (safety first, kids!)

When she flipped the breaker, the current ran through and the hot wire and ground which let out a rather brilliant spark with a small thunder clap to boot.

Now to my question: Am I screwed?

Obviously, the outlet no longer works (and neither does the new one that I hooked up to it.) Is it simply a matter replacing the outlets? Or do I need to replace the wiring all together?

Comments (15)