SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

BeachhouseMBRsuite (v. long, grab drink)

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

We are so happy with this room, we never want to leave it. It needs some touches, mostly artwork (again! but in this case I think I have some things i can use here). I also have to think about WT for the french doors, and I am waiting on crinkled muslin (thanks again AnnieD!) to drape the bed.

My starting point for the room was the Madeline Weinrib rug, and a bed I already had. I posted a lot on choosing nightstands (Anthro) and pendants (Layla Grace), both of which are ultra-girly. I really wanted mirrors over the nightstands (another long post) but the electrician has switches in the way, and I'm ok with that.

The room was created by combining two existing BR with one of the hall baths and part of the hallway, as well as replacing windows w french doors and adding a deck. We also stole 2 feet that had been occupied by closets, (one entered from a 3rd BR and one entered from the center BR; see wavy line to right of bedin new layout).

Most GW'ers were against the changes this required to the facade. After careful consideration we went ahead and it was totally, totally, the right thing to do. The deck off of our MBR is a MUST for the light, and views, sound and scent of the ocean. It totally makes the room. I am fine with the resulting facade (which btw is natural cedar and will age to grey). Pal had a great suggestion with round windows flanking the deck doors, which we may do. I also thank Pal for encouraging me to go ahead with the facade changes for the overwhelming functional benefits.

I chose an unconventional layout to minimize disruption and cost, and give us a lot of bathroom/dressing room space, plus a private w/c and w/d. I used a vintage tub, and 3 vintage sinks. Very happy with the layout, which many nixed for the long long long trip to the W/C. We are happy with it.

(disclaimer; ipad photos; can't find my camera)

BEFORE layout; no real MBR, both baths were hall baths (one tiny and decrepit), no outdoor space.

{{gwi:1811953}}

Exterior before:
{{gwi:1811954}}

Exterior after (will age to grey), need to take one from the same perspective:
{{gwi:1811955}}

Layout after (MBR suite only)

"MBR" before

MBR moodboard:

MBR after:
{{gwi:1811959}}

{{gwi:1811960}}

{{gwi:1811961}}

MBR "vestibule"... the entry to the MBR is via what was a hall closet. I put shelves in there, and I really like the detail. To be styled.

MBA moodboard:
{{gwi:1811964}}

After MBA, two rooms (one with shower and toilet and folding RR sink, see last photo)
{{gwi:1811965}}

{{gwi:1811966}}

"MBA" before (excuse mess):
{{gwi:1566354}}

After:
{{gwi:1811969}}

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Wed, Sep 3, 14 at 21:41

Comments (59)