SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bus_driver

Portable generators

bus_driver
17 years ago

First, be sure to read and follow all the safety precautions in your owner's manual. Really cold weather with high winds has now hit my area. Now I hope to help you make the generator run reliably and successfully. Have on hand a spare fuel filter for the generator plus tools for changing it. In warmer weather, some water can be trapped in the filter and the gasoline flows through just fine. If that water freezes, it may well block the flow of gasoline. Fill the generator ONLY through a filter funnel, it will trap most of the debris and water that might be in the gasoline before it ever gets into the fuel tank. We tend to use strange containers if we have a power outage and are buying extra amounts of gasoline. The filter funnel helps protect against "odd stuff" in those containers. If you have difficulty finding a filter funnel, check at a small airport. The owners of small planes use filter funnels- do you have to ask why? DO NOT get creative in the fuel used- use only pure gasoline unless the manufacturer specifically specifies the use of some blend. The ethanol blends are to be avoided unless specifically recommended by the manufacturer of the unit. Carburetor floats and the float needle can fail without warning and flood the engine. Restarting will be very difficult if this happens. For this reason, I stop the engine by one of two methods. One is to let the engine run the tank dry, meaning that the fuel added to the tank is only the amount to be used in that running session. Or shutoff the fuel at the tank and let the engine run the carburetor dry. The carburetor will not be flooded at next starting attempt. Just turn on the fuel and start, or add fuel to the tank and start. Typically, a leaking float needle will not cause problems while the engine is running. I speak from experience on every one of these issues. "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes".

Comment (1)