SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Rug Opinions; look, color!

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

To recap: we are talking about a Living room in a 1906 shingle style Maine beachhouse. It has heart pine wood floors and dark wainscoting. The walls above the wood will be a pale aqua called Teresa's Green, all furniture will have white linen slipcovers, with drapes, ottomans and throw pillows in the fabric below.

I want to add color, and though I was originally thinking of a sisal rug, I am now thinking the floor is a good place for color. I want to do something a little surprising in the context. I am trying to pick up the pink and or orange in the fabric, to use on the rug, some throws and accessories.

Here is the fabric and wall color and example of the slipcover.

{{!gwi}}

Here are six rugs. I am leaning toward something overdyed, as kind of a riff on the oriental you might expect in such a formal room.

{{!gwi}}

I'd love thoughts, since I am aiming for something hard to pull off; an intentional mixing of eras.

Comments (70)

• arlosmom
    10 years ago

Wow, it's pretty much unanimous. As soon as I looked at your choices I picked the same top row center. It's the only one that looks elegant to me, and I think that house deserves elegant. At the same time, it's fun and unexpected. Personally, I prefer the pink to the latest aqua.

• chispa
    10 years ago

I just bought one of the rugs linked below for my son's room, but I wouldn't be cutting slits in a silk and wool rug! I don't think these types of rugs are a trend. I have been to every major rug dealer in LA in the past 2 months and there is such a wide variety of styles, color and materials available now, that did not exist 15 years ago. So may options now with Banana silk, Bamboo silk, etc. Truly, something for everyone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jan kath

• Related Discussions

Tryin2Grow, Rococogirl or other rug experts - advice/opinions?

Q

Comments (8)
    gwendolynne -- Both Rugmark and Care & Fair are advocacy groups which address issues of child labor, particularly acute in Pakistan. If they certify a rug it is more than likely not made by child labor -- not 100% but probably not. I know this from someone who has traveled there and written about child labor issues. I've linked you to the C&F website below. Design and color aside, a tufted rug is held together by glue, as you know. As T2G says, not every rug smells as a result. But glue holds the nap in place. (This is explained in detail with pictures in an article on the link in the post above.) In hand knotted rugs, strands of yarn are hand-tied around the string grid (warp and weft). Those are much more durable. Tufted rugs will be less expensive than hand knotted as a rule, I expect for that reason. Production time is just so different. Good rugs are expensive, for sure. But there are also a lot of buys around -- both on the internet and in bricks and mortar stores. There are a ton of choices (one reason it's difficult to recommend specifics) but I believe a really good shopper, who nows what she likes, can make her own luck pricewise. Here is a link that might be useful: Care & Fair
    ...See More

Looking for your opinion on pillow color

Q

Comments (71)
    patty_cakes: I agree that the pillows should have some gold in them. Absolutely. I like the blue walls, but prefer the ivory ones, I think. lovinlifesc: Yes, my3dogs has generously and very kindly offered to make the pillows I need, so I need to make my decision--pronto! squirrel: I tried a pillow just like that! It's an "almost-but-not-quite." I think the pillow needs a bit of red, at least a touch. Thank you. les: I was half-kidding. I do appreciate everyone's feedback. Very much. :) I did, however, try your suggestion of the LR pillow on the bed and--I'll be damned--I think it's the answer! I am SO not good at lateral thinking. Would it be weird to have the same pillow on the bed as on the sofa? Anyway, here are the new pics with the sofa pillows on the bed. What does everybody think? If you like it, do you think there should be one or two pillows? I'm really kind of loving it--are you listening, funky? LOL
    ...See More

Looking for Paul Smith "Swirl" Rug colors in an affordable rug

Q

Comments (20)
    Great eye Ladies !( Annette and Beverly) Thank you for these !!! Am I also crazy to like this one as well ??? Its pretty bold ... Not sure I'm brave enough :) https://www.rugs-direct.com/Details/Momeni-Delhi-DL62/111183/177303?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=retargeting&utm_campaign=177303
    ...See More

Grout color opinions - Marazzi Treverkchic Italiano Wood Look Tile

Q

Comments (2)
    nevermind :-) I found this super helpful thread that helped me decide. I'm going with the charcoal. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/grout-color-dsvw-vd~108133 @ourprojectbegins - your blog was so helpful too. Thanks!
    ...See More
  • katlan
    10 years ago

I like the two center rugs. And actually think I liked the bottom row center better. I don't like the stripes or zigzag at all but as everyone always says, that's totally personal likes/dislikes. They hurt my eyes and make me dizzy.

The aqua rug is a beautiful color.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

OMG chispa, I'm blown away. I just spent some time on the Jan Kath website.
    Mtnrd, have you looked at any of those yet?
    What do you think about something just a bit softer but still a great pop of color?

(go to the website for better photos)

The green ones below and the others in the Tibetan collection might give that fabulous choice for your MB a run for the money too.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by mlweaving_Marji on Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 16:17

• Design_MACS
    10 years ago

I absolutely adore the top middle pink rug. Here are some of the reasons I like it:

1. The fabric is a bold pattern, so I like that this rug pulls in the pink color without having a graphic a pattern that competes like some of the others.

2. When designing a room, I like to pull a color from my favorite artwork or fabric and make it stand out more. Having a pink rug will make the pink in the fabric stand out that much more. On the other hand, the fabric is already so blue that a blue rug would make everything look a bit more monotone.

3. The fabric is traditional so I love that this rug looks like it's been around for a while. It will make your home look like you've lived there for a while and collected pieces that go well together along the way.

I'm not sure what other pieces you have but silver and mirrored accents would look lovely with these choices. You can also keep fresh pink and orange Gerber daisies and go to your local library where they often sell old hardcover books. If you select ones simply for the color of their binding, you can create a nice collection that complements your design for the coffee table. I attached a quick mood board for you here.

If you have any questions feel free to check out my site!
    www.designmacs.com or my blog on Facebook at the Design MACS page

Here is a link that might be useful: Design MACS

• Jamie
    10 years ago

They are pretty but so is a genuine old ushak. A really threadbare one would strike the accent you are looking for, given that everything else will be new and crisp.

One advantage to these for you is that they can be quite large.

And you'd be fulfilling a dream for me. I have wanted one so long. But my house is kind of worn out and adding more worn out stuff doesn't work that well.

Here is a link that might be useful: corrected big old ushaks link

This post was edited by jamies on Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 16:32

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Can someone explain what an "overdyed" rug is? I've seen some rugs on West Elm's site that I really like (based on just the site, not in person) that say they're "overdyed", but I'm not clear what that means.

To be honest, I don't love any of the rugs that much with your fabric. I like the style of the pink one, but I don't love the bright pink so much. I like the idea of an orange and white rug, but something about those rugs seems too crisp for the soft fabric for me. Maybe I'd feel different if I could see your fabric sample on an actual rug in a photo like you're showing your paint color. Sorry that wasn't a lot of help.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A true overdyed rug is an old rug that is bleached. When it is bleached, some of the pattern remains, but faded/muted.
    Next, the rug is dyed again, any color you choose.

I think the first I'd ever heard of it was 6-7 years ago at ABC Carpet.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

You're closer to the fabric than we are. Can't even find a decent illustrated fabric swatch on-line for comparison, but here's how that fabric appears when it's on a sofa, and though you could pull out an orange/peachy tone, I can't see it from these photos.

Here are some possible blue, pink & to a lesser degree, peach, rug selections from Overstock.

• Jamie
    10 years ago

Bev, can you share how-to-find info on the bottom middle. Overstock has a million rugs, and no box to check for "peach". TXs!

edited: oh, I see. It's safavieh Tibetan. Never mind.

This post was edited by jamies on Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 17:22

• chispa
    10 years ago

mlweaving, they are even prettier in person. The rug dealer I went to had about 3 of their pieces. It is an art piece you place on the floors! It was much more than I thought I would ever spend to place in a teens room, but DS is a really good kid, with some issues he is working on, and we wanted to redo his room to be fun and happy. I took him rug shopping and he loved this rug. He'll take it when he gets his first place and it would work just as well in a living room. I've always bounced my décor ideas by him and he actually appreciates some of the differences!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jamies,
    I too love Oushaks, but the last time I looked at them the ones I liked were 20k and on up. I spent considerably more than that on a Bassarabian that I was sure I would love forever, and now I can't imagine using it anywhere. And it's not the only rug I am just storing because I can't stomach selling it for what it would go for!

So, esp for a beachhouse, Id like to stay under 5k for this. Unfortunately I think the stuff too far under that number might look like junk, so I need to find the sweet spot.

Chispa, I will take a look, but they strike me as a bit modern! Hope all goes well with your son and he enjoys being trusted with something special!

DesignMacs, thank you!

Beverly, Thanks so much for all of the legwork. I never post the sad swatches that are shown on line for the fabric, since they are so off. It looks so faded in those photos, but it is a vibrant fabric, albeit in a water color palette. So it it's tough one to try to match on line! The bottom rows that you posted look like the choices I've always made for decor ... but I want this room to be more fun. And, keep in mind, too, the sofas are white, not the Duck Egg fabric.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Haven't read through everything, but just played with a sample board. I like the orange striped one best with the fabric you selected. I love the pink carpet - would you be averse to selecting a different fabric? (Which comes first, the fabric or the carpet?!)

• User
    10 years ago

Definitely either the aqua or orange stripe.... Just enough surprise with the color but enough safety in the pattern to make it fun instead of startling. You want to step outside of your comfort zone and expand it, not go so far out of it that your next house will be all linen, lol . ( I didnt read any of the previous responses because I did not want to be influenced by them... I LOVE that duck egg blue fabric!!)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi KSWL!

Nice to see you. Thanks so much, I love the duck egg fabric, too. It's funny, the tide here has favored the hot pink overdyed. I don't have photoshop but I tried to "photoshop" these choices in Word onto a picture of the Living room, and I noticed (belatedly) that the heart pine floors are sort of orangey themselves. Argggh. I think I am going to go rug shopping today with sample in hand. And then take a look at it all in the room again when we go up Columbus Day Weekend (we close the friday before).

Oldbat2Be, Thank you! The thing about any of the overdyed is the exact shade varies so much ... i need to see what is available. The only worry about the stripes is if it is tooooo casual ... although I do want to make the room less formal, more "fun".

This is hard, she says from her linen tuffet in her off white room.

• User
    10 years ago

I've gone back and looked at the comments and it strikes me that very few people like the orange colors... I think it is a color few people are comfortable with, which IMO is one of the things that makes it so great as an accent. I think the fuschia---- which back in the day we called "hot pink"----is absolutely wrong. It is overpowering and overbearing.

• User
    10 years ago

If the floors are orangey the orange rugs make the most sense, don't they? The stripe is a strong beach reference that brings in a bit of nonchalance to the scheme.... yes we know this is a wonderful historic home but it IS our beach house, you know... :-)

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I can't see the pink one either but maybe it is much less in person. I think a sisal would look great, maybe a diamond patterned one. I'm not really feeling any of them but like the blue stripe best, ie, sticking with the overall cool blue of the fabric. I'd do the hot colors in accessories.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 13:53

• chispa
    10 years ago

You really can't buy a rug just by viewing it online. Even seeing it in the showroom doesn't work sometimes. I was rug shopping for 2 rooms recently and one of the rugs looked great in the showroom. When I tried it at home the beautiful deep red color in the showroom turned into an ugly purple in my sons room. It is a pain to lug home several 9x12 rugs, but it is the only way to know if you will truly love it in your space.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

One more and then done! mlweaving_Marji kindly gave me some rug mfr recommendations, including Safavieh. When I saw this one, it made me think of you. The orange appeals to me...

Here is a link that might be useful: Safavieh rug

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 21:15

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Oh, I like that last one oldbat2be just posted.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Like!

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Came back to this and just was struck by something. I think the rug goes with the fabric you chose and the dark wood but not so well with your paint swatch. FWIW, on my monitor, I don't see the paint choice working with the dark wood.

• francoise47
    10 years ago

I just saw a fun Flor tile rug on Houzz in the newest "over dye" rug colors. Flor rug tiles are a big step down from a ABC Home rug. But, perhaps a creative idea for a beach house?

{{!gwi}}

[Eclectic Home Office[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-home-office-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_732~s_2104) by Dallas Media and Bloggers Angela Flournoy

Here is a link that might be useful: Flor Remembrance flor tiles

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Francoise, Thank you! Those are very cool, and they are an excellent idea for a beach house. I am definitely going to check out their NYC showroom.

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

I dunno, I got hung up at the idea of white linen slips at a Maine beach house.

I could see natural linen (the color of the traditional summer coverings on fancier furniture in well-run New England/Boston city households of a certain quality c 1900). But I can't imagine the owners of said linen-slipped furniture migrating to their seaside houses and choosing white linen there. Too 1970 Miami-ish.

Came back to add this: Aside from flouting traditional style/practicality norms for summer houses, I think white anything in rooms with darkish paneling will create too-harsh a contrast. These rooms aren't Mariette Hines Gomez spaces which rely on a pretty tight range of contrast to succeed, with light colored, high walls and white furnishings. And this goes doubly in a house by the sea where the sharp, often blinding light off the water, creates the need for more-restful, less contrasty indoor spaces to relieve the eyes and provide the very important sense of sheltering that all beach houses must have to be really emotionally effective.

Being by the ocean is always a humbling emotional experience. I think that it can become overwhelming unless it is carefully balanced by very human-scaled, cosseting, interior environments. Kind of gives us back the illusion that we are as important and elementally powerful as we need to believe we are.

And I think that's, at base, why the idea of white slipcovers grates. White furniture covers epitomize the struggle between a design-idea and reality. Who wants to fuss with the upkeep (or even imagine someone else doing it on our behalf) that white fabric demands in a casual environment? Not me, for sure.

L.

This post was edited by liriodendron on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 10:02

• allison0704
    10 years ago

My vote is for an overdyed rug, but not quite as dark as the first pink one you posted. Love the Jan Kath rugs Chispa posted too, so that's my second choice.

DD2 and DS both have used FLOR tiles at their house and condo. Great for spills, easy cleaning. But order extra FLOR Dots and use two on each tile square instead of one for extra strength. They are very bad about working loose, but about once a year they've had to make a few repairs to pull back closer. That said, I don't think you would be happy with FLOR tiles in the end.

Have you considered a Soumak/flatweave? Our great room rug is a beautiful blue and I have a yellow/gold with teal in a guest room - they can be found in colors. They are similar to sisal, but have lovely patterns. They are so easy to keep clean and I witness the painter tumble, knocking over a cup (with lid) of soft drink - it beaded, just blotted up. I have 2 indoor doors and 3 cats (plus DH and 2 grandchildren). They are great rugs... but I'm still voting for my 1st and 2nd choices, above. lol

This post was edited by allison0704 on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 10:01

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kswl,
    Yes, that is what I am trying to pull off. But i am not sure as an amateur if I am up to it. DH says I have decision fatigue and I should just wait.

Snookums, it does look great with sisal, but in my CT house my MBR, office and all four kids room have sisal.

Chispa, Of course you can't pick it out on line, or even outside of the site, I agree. I am just trying to decide on a direction.In the end I envisage taking a few sample to the house.

OldBat2Be, That rug looks great. In fact, it looks similar. colorwise, to a french needlepoint i have in my MBR that I considered moving to the beachhouse. But, I am trying (for now!) to find something more hip, more unexpected, more playful. Right now I am ready to give up on the fabric, the wall color, even the panelling! argggh

Lirio, It's actually an off white slipcover, and linen rather then duck, so it should not look Miami. I think this is the one constant I have for both aesthetic and functional reasons.

Allison, I think you are saying, at the end of the day, they look like a bunch of floor tiles and too modern or ikea-y?

Later I will post some photos from rug shopping. And when I go up in two weeks I think I will empty out the room, take photos, and impose on all of you for a real life Design Around This.

• User
    10 years ago

I think your DH is right :-)

Fwiw I have see that safavieh rug and it is red IRL.

I love the slipcovers ---one because they are practical and two because they remind me of the white sheets people used to swath their furniture in when they left a house for more than a month. Long before the 60s and the Miami white look that came later, houses that were shut up for the summer or winter were draped in those white sheets--- and the look was so cool and uncomplicated that is how some people started using white slipcovers on all their furniture.... For a summer look. I think it is perfect... And I am originally from Maine. White slips--or off white--- are considered practical, not really tropical, although their great utility is that they can look great in almost any setting.

• User
    10 years ago

The look you are interested in is a hard one to get without looking too try hard, you have to keep the surroundings simple and make the interesting elements like the rug and a more graphic floral stand out a bit. There has to be a good mix of traditional, modern, and even ethnic furniture, fabrics, lighting, art etc. I think that the paneling and colored paint will be tricky and that fabric will not work at all. If you go in a more traditional, sort of shabby chic, with a very light rug then you can make it work but it will be very sweet with no sass.

Successful mix:

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

AthomeinVA, I like the room you posted, but note it does not have dark panelling, so I am not sure if it would translate. That said,I take your point. I may have made some mutually exclusive choices for the look I want.

FWIW, here are some rugs I looked at. The top one I brought home with me ... I really like the mix of orange and gold with a seagrass feel.

{{!gwi}}

Close up of rug:
    {{!gwi}}

Not rugs, but items that worked well with the fabric ... patinaed birdcage and moroccan poof.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

This was a pink overdye, and I think it is the right pink for the fabric but pink may be to much, esp w heartpine floors.
    {{!gwi}}

These work, IMHO, but they are not exciting at all:
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Love the first one. They look made for each other. And if you are wanting some zing and energy, it has it.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Since the fabric seems to be your starting point can you try to buy, say, a 3 yd piece and take it with you when you go in a few weeks? Drape it over a rod or thumbtack it to a wall to give you a visual sense of it in the room.
    Working with the swatch is giving you a false sense of scale, and a limited view of how much orange and pink are present.
    Then you can set down rug samples and get a feel for it there. Maybe you can also paint up a poster board or two with some wall color choices.
    FWIW, I like the first rug swatch above. It just may be too much neutral along with linen slip covered furniture. Do they do that rug in reverse, orange ground, off white stencil?

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Yes, love the first seagrass and orange one.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Snookums and Prickly!

MLWeaving, we do have a very large posterboard of our favorite paint color (it just wasnt in that photo), and next time we may actually just paint some walls! Your point about "false sense of scale" is dead on, and I was also thinking about getting a drapery panel's worth! Of course, right about now I never want to see that DAMN FABRIC AGAIN.

: )

I kind of feel like, yes, I did find a rug that does what a i want ... it adds a kick ... its a bit beachy ...but ... i don't know, I am just not sure I like the whole thing.

Do not kill me, fine people of gardenweb, who have been so patient and kind and giving of ideas!

I am pretty sure I am going to start a Design Around This thread for my LR. Anything goes, even the sacrilege of painting that darn wood. Shall I wait until I have pictures of it emptied?

• francoise47
    10 years ago

The orange and gold rug with the seagrass feel is lovely. But I will admit that I'm already getting tired of the bold graphic moroccan-patterned rugs, curtains and pillows we've seen so much of in the past few years. (I'm not tired of moroccan backslashes.) The chintz fabric feels classic. The graphic orange rug feels a bit modern and trendy -- perhaps more California beach home than New England. They could work together if handled with care in the context of the whole room, especially if you wanted to carefully push outside the box.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Allison, I think you are saying, at the end of the day, they look like a bunch of floor tiles and too modern or ikea-y?

Yes. I wouldn't have them in our living room or den, and I don't think you want to either.

Look at Surya flatweave rugs. They have an reverse orange and more. They are softer than some Soumaks I've seen. DD2 has one in her MBR and DGS bedroom. She'll get one for the living room once he is potty trained - but the FLOR tiles will be great if there's an accident before.

{{!gwi}}

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I really like the fabric you chose, and I really like the idea of color on the floor, but I'm really getting tired of the blue and orange trend...and I haven't seen the blue and raspberry thing and I think it could be so neat as its both cool and warm for whatever season or weather you're in the house. And I think the raspberry will contrast nicely with the wood.

"I am just not sure I like the whole thing."

I think you just need to spend more time in the house, get the feel of it throughout the day and night, and you will know if you are heading in the right direction....

I know you are a mover and shaker and like to get it all done tout de suite, but perhaps you need to slow it down some. Stop trying to rush the creative process. Enjoy it and let it unfold. It will go much easier, you'll find things you haven't thought of before, it will end with a better result, and I think you'll find you enjoy the whole process even more. My Dad always used to say, you can only enjoy the taste of the food while it's in your mouth. Once you swallow, it's gone. So eat slowly and savor the delightful project you have. Give yourself time...you will know when it's right.

• User
    10 years ago

We say in our family: Slow down, we're in a hurry!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Yup kswl....just like the other day, I wanted to do a meditation on patience, but I didn't have time!
    ;)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was at lunch with my 11yo daughter Saturday and she said to me "Mom, do you think of yourself as patient?" And I said "Oh no, honey, not at all. You will have to watch your father to learn that!" And she said "me neither".

Maybe I will go plan a trip. : )

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

I'm late to the game, but I vote for "none of the above." The fabric you chose is lovely, slipcovers are classic, but the rugs look too latest blog/HGTV/trendy and will take everything down to that level. Sisal is a safe choice, but it's just that in this case-- safe.

I think you need something genuinely old. It doesn't have to be a $19K rug to do the trick. I am pretty sure you could find something for less than $5K-- probably even closer to $2K. It will take looking, of course-- but CL will be your friend.

Now, if the fabric, paint, and slipcovers aren't set in stone, then I would actually re-think them as well. I am a little afraid that the fabric will decorate you into a corner. Your beach house is really special, and deserves the true, collected look. For that, as mentioned above, you will need patience.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Most of the decorating things that I rushed on or was talked into buying quickly are the ones that I don't love.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I haven't even seen an orange and blue trend and still like it. They are complementary colors, not new or trendy, whatever the marketplace might be doing. Limiting concepts like "dated" or "trend" come up a lot and need to be eliminated for the creative process to flow. It can be hard, but good brain storming is free of restrictions, rules and judgment. Even if you choose colors that are part of a current trend (because that's what's available and you are seeing and liking it), you can still do something in your own way.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Example:

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I really like that! Fresh and happy.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks, Snookums. Looks like she picked something w/ a similar design, only with muted colors.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I agree with others who suggested to slow down and actually live in the house before you commit. See how the light is during the day.

Are you set in stone on the fabric? There's something drab about the color and since it would be in a room with dark wood the drabbiness of the fabric would be enhanced unless there is a lot of sunlight.

Have you seen the fabrics on this website? And remember, the fabric doesn't have to be beachy. I could spend all day here!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabric

• zen4d
    10 years ago

My favorite is the one posted by anele, then the aqua stripe in your original post. Third and fourth: The center to p row in original post and the oldbat2be. they're all very different looks though, so I guess it depends on what "personality" you want the room to have. Can't wait to see what you pick.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Oakley,
    It is so hard to show it, but the fabric is not drab at all. The main color is an aqua which has a water color feel to it. I should try to take a pic of it in strong light!

Zen4d, Snookums, Anele,
    I ended up coming across a faded old piece that I like very much. It has no orange at all. It is mostly gold with some blue and raspberry pink touches.

Here you can see it in my latest moodboard, below. It will be a runner as soon as you walk into the room, between the door and the main staircase. I think of it as art on the floor. I will use sisal under the main floor grouping. I think I will have two small overdyed rugs made for the other areas (see floorplan below, please ignore colors). I found someone who can custom make overdyed rugs. I'm also framing maps of places we have travelled.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths