SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acdesignsky

Old timer Roll Call- Please read

acdesignsky
12 years ago

Boy, am I getting old! I just clicked on My Preference and saw I've been a member on THS since 2002. Back before the buy-out in the days of Spike. I found this site when I was doing a DIY refresh of home. It was a kitchen redo with white cabs, subway tile backsplash, and Boos maple butcherblock island. THS was always ahead of the design curve!

I found myself posting less as the site grew and projects were completed, but it just made me think of how important this site has been to me over the years. I'd love if the old-timers (newer members feel free as well) could check in with-

First project and/or projects

Fondest memory

One style change you've really noticed

1. Sept.2002

2. Above mentioned kitchen remodel, plus another 3 years later, plus countless flooring, bath, paint, and decorating projects.

3. Right after I joined, I saw pics of a member's kitchen that took my breath away. It was far and above beyond our little remodel, but her backsplash tile inspired me. I looked for it everywhere. Remember, this was before many companies really had a web presence. You could find dealer links and a few pics, but nothing like now. I mentioned how much I loved it, and a few days later I received a package from Canada with several sample tiles. It really touched me. She still posts here though I think she left that beautiful home years ago.

4. Back then everyone was doing maple cabs with black granite countertops in the kitchen and trying to duplicate Christopher Lowell's plastic bag faux finish techniques in the foyer!

Comments (138)

• runninginplace
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Mona, thank you so much for sharing that old thread. I really needed the laughs!

Ann

• mjsee
    12 years ago

pollyana--I DO remember that thread. I often wondered what happened with the grasshopper-not-a-fossil countertop...she never posted again.

• Related Discussions

Roll Call ...All Maineiacs please report in...part two

Q

Comments (99)
    Eliot, although he seems to commonly refer to his home as either "Harborside" or "Blue Hill", does live in Brooksville. (I suspect he's being cagey to preserve what privacy he may have left.) That said, he lives out on Cape Rosier, on the far end of town from me, where I rarely have business going. Our paths cross once or twice a year. I have much more contact with those who have less public lives to hide from. At the farmer's Solstice party, there were representatives from Wind & Sun (that's me), Stoneset, King Hill, Horsepower, and of course Old Ackley Farm, as they hosted the event. Others I might commonly see are those of Carding Brook Farm and Five Star Nursery. Denizens of Four Season Farm are rarely seen. Rock weed is the common name for a species of seaweed. Most of what I collect is rock weed. Every now and then I'll get a little kelp or some other specie. Doesn't MDI have any beaches where you can drive right up to it? It was more work in the rain yesterday because the sand wasn't frozen. When I was there last week it was great. I brought the garden cart and could get it from anywhere I wanted, and it's more or less a level path to the truck. Last week I chose to take it from a spot where the waves had heaped it up some, but also washed all the sand down so I got more green matter for my effort. When it's frozen, seaweed isn't so slimy either. Also, when I get the load home I jack the trailer tongue off the truck (2wd Tacoma), pick it up with the small tractor, and haul it off to the garden where I spread by hand. Then I bring the trailer back, fork the load from the truck into the trailer, and go spread that. So it's easier to get around in the garden when the ground is frozen too. I'd like to get more crab shell too, but I've mostly cleaned out my source, at least so there isn't enough to make a truck and trailer load in one shot possible. I started looking for more sources. At the first place I stopped, the guy looked at me and said, "Do you know a guy named Colman? He stops and picks up all our shells every day." Dan
    ...See More

TN Roll Call

Q

Comments (87)
    Hey Paperfinch, Welcome to the Tennessee Forum of Gardenweb. You're about three years late for this particular thread. Why don't you start a new thread and introduce yourself to everyone. Maybe you could tell us where you live (closest city, for instance) and what things you are most interested in. Many of us also do lots of seed exchanging, but often specialize in certain things. For instance, some participants may grow mostly vegetables, some annual or perennial flowers, and others (like me) more trees and woody plants. Gardenweb has a Seed Exchange Forum that works well for trading for seeds, but we'd still like to get to know you here too. As you may have seen, each third of Tennessee has their own Plant Swap. These are events that you should really really really try to attend if possible. I'm currently working to get the East Tennessee Plant Swap website at www.easttnplantswap.com up and going for people in east TN. The Middle Tennessee Plant Swap has a site at www.midtnplantswap.com. And, I think the West Tennessee people rely on this forum, currently, for announcements.
    ...See More

an old funny - but worth reading again

Q

Comments (10)
    Oh yes Alexa and going even earlier than that, I remember when there was no TV so we listed to radio programs such as Ozzie & Harriet, Mr. & Mrs. North, Lux Theater, The Edgar Bergen show with Charlie McCarthy, Amos and Andy. We read books and comic such as Archie, Little Lulu, Donald Duck and played cards, jacks, pick-up sticks, Snakes and Ladders, Monopoly, hopscotch, skipped rope, and roller skated on heavy metal skates that you clamped onto your heaviest shoes using a tightening key on a cord that you hung around your neck, until you needed to tighten them again. Balloons had just been invented or reinvented after the war. Records were 78 rpm until the Long plays LPs and the 45s came out. We could play outside all day until we heard our moms standing on the back porch calling our name for us to come in. Girls all wore dresses to school and wearing trousers or slacks (as they were called) to school was forbidden except when there was deep snow. We wore gumboots over our shoes when it rained. When we picked up the phone, an operator said...'Number please', and the phone cord was black and not spring coiled. People who came to the door: the milkman, the egg man, the newspaper boy, the grocer bringing the groceries, the boy from the meat market, the laundry service with dad's white work shirts, the Watkins man, the bread man. There were no supermarkets. We fought over who could read the Sunday comics first when the weekend newspapers arrived on the front porch. And we walked miles to high school carried a load of books and an umbrella, usually open. I guess I'm going farther back in time to when most here were not yet born lol! SharonCb
    ...See More

Roll call please

Q

Comments (22)
    Yes Kathi, I am the Barbie doll clothing maker. I agree that this site is very slow. I thought the new format would help but so far I don't see much change in that respect. I have several irons in the fire most of the time. For right now I am heavy into jewelry making. My favorite at the moment is making chain maille. It's made from jump-rings interlocked or woven together in many MANY different fashions. I am totally hooked. Here are just a few of my pieces.
    ...See More
  • pollyannacorona
    12 years ago

mjsee, I hope she wasnt embarassed by it and thats why she didnt update us, it was certainly a curiosity that could have happened with a resined slab.
    I have seen far worse on these boards, particularly the home building board, things construction workers would do in the homes .. disgusting little presents left behind and things being put into the walls and drywalled in.

• natal
    12 years ago

Dedtired, I don't do FB. I started recognizing a pattern on threads where the same 4 or 5 people would post in close succession when a thread became contentious. Then someone (a former CF member who is on FB) mentioned the existence of the page and what was posted there. Then someone active on the forum mentioned it too. A few doubted her, but shortly thereafter the pattern stopped. I'm guessing that's when GW stepped in? I was privy to similar behavior years ago with one of the esteemed members of that forum. Didn't care for it then anymore than I do now. It's one thing to disagree with people; it's totally different when your intention is strictly to attack and even worse when you use someone else to do your dirty work. She was great at that. Sad.

• mahatmacat1
    12 years ago

ded, glad to hear the carpal tunnel thread helped you -- *you* helped me infinitely! My hand is sitting here reproaching me for not taking action (well what would I expect it to do -- get up and walk away in a huff? :)); I hope yours is healed not only from the c.t.s. but from the surgery.

• natal
    12 years ago

Ded, just read about your neighbor. Be grateful he lives across the street. My sister has one next door and he loves to walk around naked in the back yard ... the front too at times. Cops were called once then again when his nude self tried to unlock my sister's back door with his own house keys. He obviously has a few screws loose. Good luck getting yours to leave his clothes on.

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Thanks for you good wishes. I absolutely am calling the cops the next time he does that.

Flyleft, the hand is getting better every day and I am so happy I had the surgery. The incision is still a little tender and my hand is still a little stiff, but it's getting there. I don't know how you live with it.

Getting back to old times -- remember when you came to THS and there was a little cartoon dog with a wagging tail and the caption said "Look, he's happy to see you"? He's not still around, is he?

• Jamie
    12 years ago

Signed up in 2002 or so for gardening advice, then read the kitchens forum for the longest time, but here on decor is where I really began my education. I'm not decorating anything at the moment, and it's amazing how easily I can just abandon the whole subject, which gets to be a real obsession at times. I'm sure once we get another house I'll be devouring every post again as I try once more, between new and different walls, to create a comfy nest for our stuff and us.

• natal
    12 years ago

Just read Eileen's comment ... waggle his tackle. You poor girl. ;)

• goldgirl
    12 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I really enjoyed catching up on everyone.

I signed up around 2004, when I was trying to put together a dining room in our third home. Life has changed so much since then - DH and I moved out of state, I had a job and eventually lost a job, and am now in my last year of grad school, ready to start a new career.

I haven't had much of a life outside of school for the past four years, so I've mostly lurked here and in the CF. I miss Johnmarie and ColorMeConfused, and also Chelone - don't know if anyone remembers her, but she was an expert with drapes. I missed her exit and am not sure why she left.

• goldgirl
    12 years ago

And KGWLisa - loved her posts as well!

• cattknap
    12 years ago

May 16, 2001 for this old timer!

• sable_ca
    12 years ago

I miss A Country Home. She had ten children and was building a beautiful new house on a hazelnut farm, and that was one gorgeous home! The last pictures we saw were of the interior paint all finished, but without furnishings. Always wished to see more.

The widget thread and the toilet seat thread were classics. However, my favorite was begun by a poster who wanted to hang some pictures of very stereotyped African-Americans in her living room and wondered how they would look. The ensuing discussion was fantastic, very sensitive and mannerly, with the sharing of lots of knowledge about art and social issues. In the end, she was persuaded not to hang the pictures. Wish I'd saved it.

I joined the GW in 2005 after discovering the Reader's Paradise forum and then following links and ending up here. This is where I come every day to feel calm and inspired. There aren't words enough to describe the influence of this forum on my thinking! Our home is fully furnished and the paint colors and window treatmens are worked out and just need occasional refreshing. But I needed a lot of help with arranging books and beloved mementos and creating vignettes, so I pay close attention to those photos.

Looked at the original date of this thread, wondered how I missed it, and then realized that a health issue kept me from the computer for over a week, and it just cycled out. So thank you for renewing it!

• mitchdesj
    12 years ago

I had forgotten about this thread; I was thinking about jonmari this week and how she never came back, it's funny how a poster can be such an integral part of a forum and leave a void.

I can't remember the name of the poster who went to Italy often and posted about purses, amongst other things. Shannon seems to have disappeared also. Squirrelheaven is gone. Mistybear used to pop in after long absences but not anymore, some of the threads she initiated were so insightful.
    I can't read about a purple wall without thinking of her.

I dreamed last night that I popped in at a member's home, unnannounced ,
    and she was napping on the kitchen floor with 2 small children ( the poster has no small children at home) ; we proceeded to chat about this forum as if it was the most natural thing to do, I remember saying to her: "I'm mitchdesj from the decorating forum" I've never had a dream about this forum. Go figure.

• newdawn1895
    12 years ago

It says, I joined on March 18, 2008. I started in gardening, which kind of bored me after a while and then I came over to Home Decorating, my true love.

I miss Johnmari too, gawd she was funnay and I wish she would come back.
    I remember when Magnverde's apartment was featured in O magazine and I went to tons of book stores to find it, like he was a personal friend of mine.
    I remember of course the tiolet seat thread, a real classic.
    And who could forget the arguement Brutuses had with another GW member. Brutuses did leave, never to return. I wonder what happened to her?
    I remember when a GW member introduced my3dogs to us.
    I wonder what happened to Parma, Texashottie, Florabella and so many others? Mitchdesi, Parma is the one that went to Italy with her husband from time to time.

I remember when Allison talked about her cosmetic surgery as many others did.
    I remember when Terrics talked about hooping and I went out and bought one. I still am planning to use it this summer. (lol)
    Congrats Shee on the soon to be new member of your family.
    Another congrats to ttodd. Did I read you are opening a new business?

I learned how to copy and paste on here. I talked endlessly about Mr. Duvall and got tons of advice especially from Stinky Gardner and Johnmari.

There are times I get busy and don't come on for months, but I always come back and get my fix.

Happy New Year to all my GW friends.

.....Jane

• newdawn1895
    12 years ago

Oh, I also remember seeing a pic of Trailrunner and thinking what great breasts she had and what a wonderful marriage she has. I mean that in the most heterosexual way Caroline. (lol)

• mitchdesj
    12 years ago

parma yes !!
    thanks!

• redbazel
    12 years ago

Well, I'm so glad this was at the top today....so many good memories! The cat. Wow. The toilet seat cover thread. Double Wow. So many times I've obsessively come home from work or logged on first thing in the morning to see what Cattknap or Ttodd or NewDawn or KGW (or about 20 more of you guys!!) were adding to your homes or painting your walls or rearranging. My family went from eye-rolling incredulity to actually telling me...."Why don't you post that on GardenWeb and see what we should do?"

My page says I joined 2004. I know I paid the $15. Never had the nerve to tell La Familia THAT! The eye-rolls would have rolled right down the street that I Paid!

I used to post on BHG's Color forum. Then, a little site that grew and grew called Great Impressions. I found this one day while looking for plant information and just accidently stumbled onto "Decorating" a couple of years later. I kept hearing about Spike and getting sent to Disney, but never really knew Spike. What happened to Him?

I know I joined that BAHR when it came to be but found it harder to get the feel for than here, so kinda gave it up. Great Impressions became private and I really hated that so gave that up too. I guess I'm just still checking in here and checking out a couple of blogs every so often now. I went to work full time 3 years ago and that changed everything. I still read and laugh and ooooh & ahhhh, but not so much time for posting or throwing out a piece of weird advice when you don't even get home to start dinner till 6.

I think we were just thinking about flooring for the kitchen when I first joined. I was reading about wood floors and looking at photos on the Flooring Forum. We finally did wood everywhere Except the kitchen.

And like someone already said, everyone was doing red rooms. I did a couple (or 3!) myself at the time. Loved them. Now I'm all borderline neutral. But this has been the funniest place on the web, the best advice, the most helpful people, and a truly wonderful resource. Sometimes, just before holidays and mid-summer, it slows down to a dragging crawl, but just when I tell myself I can move on, someone sucks me in with something and I'm hooked again. Thanks, everyone!

Red

• leahcate
    12 years ago

Okay cattknap, I see you peeking in! We need to see your Ky. home, please. I believe it is Ky. So loved the pics of your pretty CM, Ca. cottage, and sometimes imagine just how wonderfully those gardening talents are being put to use on the new big property. Feel like sharing with us again?

• tracey_b
    12 years ago

I signed up in April of 2003. I think it was the gardening forums I found first and then this one. A few years later ('07) we were finishing our basement, and I got help with paint color choices. Mostly I just lurked--then and now. I have my morning tea, and this forum is one of my "reads"--except for a couple of years when I took a break, but then I found my way back when we got relocated. I then expanded to the BAH, kitchens, baths, etc., when building our house (moved-in Sept. 2010). I've also, sadly, needed the Pet forum. And, I only just now found the Cooking forum (when googling for which KA stand mixer to buy)....don't know how I missed it before.

I remember a hilarious thread about growing gardenias in one of the gardening forums and another hilarious one about Toto Washlets in the bathroom forum.....and LOTS of interesting (and enlightening) threads here....like ironing sheets, how many uses for bath towels, etc.

One lady on here did me a great favor when I was picking colors for our new house--lkplatow went and picked up and mailed to me paint chips which I couldn't find here. I thought that was super!

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

Sable, not only did Acountryhome have 10 kids, she also ran several businesses. I remember posting about a horrible experience that my son had at a tire dealership, and she offered up a gift certificate to one of her restaurants to him since she lived in the same town where he was going to college. He was able to enjoy two good meals thanks to her generosity.

• sable_ca
    12 years ago

Terricks - The first thought that comes to mind is Go Ducks! We go up there as often as we can.

Acountryhome offered help for our DS2 and his family (they are also in that town). They were having a bear of a time with newborn DGS, who had a terrible case of reflux that went on and on. She offered to bring them meals. DS and DIL were very upset that I mentioned their problems online and declined her offer, although DIL did give a big thank you ( but no, thank you). I am glad that your son benefitted from her kind sharing.

Still would like to see her back here. It was a gorgeous home and a wonderful property.

• polly929
    12 years ago

I missed this the first time around too!

I first joined in 2007, when DH and I sold our first home for another larger home that was in COMPLETE need of A LOT of TLC. I got so many wonderful ideas here, found kitchens first, but really only after I had already made all of my choices for my kitchen.
    I enjoyed and sort of bonded with rmkitchen at the time b/c she too was going through a kitchen reno with toddlers in the house. Eventually my kitchen was sort of finished, (you never really finish when it's all DIY) and I moved over to decorating. I kept saying, Oh I can't wait to finish this room so I can post my before and afters on GW, but guess what, I ended up preggers with baby #3, and never finished a thing. Now he rivals with Dennis the Menace and much of my days home are spent cleaning up and keeping up with him.
    I always wonder how Ttodd has the time and ability to do all her decorating, her home is beautiful, and very close to the vision I have of my own home- but it's a vision- the real thing is very far from her beautiful home.

My favorite thing that happened here on GW was when there was thread about you hometown and small mom and pop shops. I mentioned mine and another poster, fivefootzero, recognized the name and asked if I lived in the same town as her. Turns out we did. It wasn't until almost 2 years later when she was doing her kitchen and she was trying to convince her hubby to get soapstone that I offered for her and hubby to come by my house to see our sopastone. We've been great friends ever since, and our daughters are in the same grade and they are great friends.

I remember chelone, and I also remember her being not so nice to another frequent poster. If I remember correctly her comments were pretty awful, and then she was gone.
    I used to really enjoy posts from renofan and admired her ability to make a thrift store find look incredibly chic. I believe her posts are what got me hooked on craigslist.
    I remember a few arguments that led to the disappearance of brutuses, squirrelheaven and a few others who I enjoyed reading posts from.
    I mostly have enjoyed the fun poked at Craigslist threads, but I clearly remember one where someone was making fun of a couch on CL and another poster alerted the person who was selling the couch about the people on here who were making fun of the ugly sofa. That went in a very ugly direction and got very heated, it was completely unnecessary, it was very sad what happened there.

• natal
    12 years ago

It's funny how people have different recollections of previous posters. I remember a couple posters having meltdowns on the board and then disappearing.

• amykath
    12 years ago

What a GREAT thread!!!!

I joined in Aug 2002

I was looking for help on concrete countertops. I fell in love with this site. I honestly have no idea how many mistakes I would have made without it!

We made concrete counters for our kitchen and bath in our first home. Then we redid our second house (kitchen, baths etc). Then I got a divorce and moved and have been doing yet another house. I have always come to this site. It has been so wonderful and friendly.

I am not sure of my fondest memory, there have been quite a few. Its so interesting how this site remains here and I have gone through so many changes along with so many other members over the last 10 years.

As far as changes I have noticed... there are many more gray rooms and rooms in various shades of light blue/green. Seems that is much more popular than in 2002.

Thanks to everyone for all of the help you have given me!

Amy

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

I had to check "my page" to see when I first signed up; it was April 14, 2003 . . . OMG! But, back then I was more of a regular, like Red and some others here, over on the Great Impressions decorating forum. Someone would occasionally mention GW and one day I came over to register and check it out. Back then on GI, people used to say that there were too many petty arguments over here. In retrospect, there were probably just as many on GI (LOL!).

But, about 5 years ago, GI was slowly fizzling out and I was in desperate need of advice and ideas for our long-awaited total kitchen gut and reno. JanH from Great Impressions (who also pops in here very occasionally) helped me a lot, but I also started posting and reading over here on the GW Kitchen forum. That place is fantastic and saved me so much time, money and stress! I got tons of great ideas and advice on Kitchens. From there, I started back here and it's been my home-away-from-home ever since!

Like many of you, I really miss A Country Home (what a sweet person she is!) and Magnaverde. I also wish Jonmari would start posting again. She was very down to earth and I enjoyed her practical cooking and cleaning tips . . . not to mention her fantastic "Sorta Greekish Couscous", that I make all the time now.
    Lynn

• tinker_2006
    12 years ago

2006 - and this forum has helped me with THREE homes! I need to stop moving!

• stolenidentity
    12 years ago

First project and/or projects - kitchen

Fondest memory - learning that not everyone digs Pottery Barn (I celebrated that day with a party LOL)

One style change you've really noticed - folks are embracing reuse/regift/recycle/reclaim

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

Wow.
    I joined Gardenweb in 2004 when we moved to the country and I had no choice but to learn to garden. I was CFMuehling then, but returned this year to my maiden name of CEFreeman.

Ironically, I had been a Women.com member and board(s) monitor for about 6 years, so that would have been at their onset roughly 1998. Before that, Compuserve since 1992. Before that, the BBS days when everything was charged by the kb and emoticons were invented. :)

Anyway, iVillage bought Women.com, then later to my distress, Gardenweb. So I was actually merged whether I liked it or not!

My 1st project was landscaping 1.5 acres.
    Then we had a fire and my DH bailed on me, so rebuilding and decorating because my focus.
    I live for the before and after pics, because they tell me I can do this.

I know the garden board look for me, but talking about gardening, even thinking about the care I put into my gardens for reasons that were misplaced hurt me to this day. I can't go there much, although I do try to attend the spring trades we began organizing in 2004.

In the meanwhile, I've used the home boards to a bare thread. I've received advice on cabinet making, countertop making, lighting, color, paint, techniques on everything, pros/cons, encouragement, dire warnings, you name it. I don't think I'd have come as far on my house as I have without these boards.

There are several people I miss from the garden boards, simply because they died way too young. I don't know many people here, but am coming to recognize names and rooms.

Time flies so. A year or two ago another yoga teacher from Women.com found me. Just checking in, but what a joy! They were there for me when I on my 1st visit to NYC I was stuck in the city after one morning I watched them make a movie (I thought) and two planes few into this big buildings...

Sometimes I just feel old. Not just as an old-timer.
    Christine

• reno_fan
    12 years ago

Happy New Year to all! I miss so many people here; still pop in every now and again to see what kind of stuff people with time and money are doing (lol...kissed both of those goodbye when I got divorced).

Started on Kitchens with a remodel. Moved to another house, did another kitchen. (Still addicted to kitchen-porn! Have so many magazine cutouts and whatnot!)

Got a divorce and moved to Colorado, and now most of my time is spent outside. I still renovate pretty much everything, since I can't afford to buy "new", but frankly have forgotten how to even post pictures here!

I miss Zipdee's colorful posts, Johnmari's wicked sense of humor, My3Dog's lovely home, and so many more. Good to "see" so many upthread that I do remember!

• cooperbailey
    12 years ago

Uh, Reno, I remember the photo of you and the new hot boyfriend boating in a lake. I think you traded wisely-renovations can wait!

• Katie S
    12 years ago

Started as a lurked in 2001, finally joined and paid spike in early 03 so I could post to kitchens. Had a super long thread about checkerboard tile floors with cupofkindness and others. Decorating was my way to feel some control over my life, I was in a very abusive marriage and finally left a few years later with my young children. I have since remarried (happily) and have continued my career in art while also getting a masters and teaching special ed. I now live and work in Georgia with my husband and our (blended) brood of seven. I married the handyman, and it was a great decision! I design and he builds.

• redwheelbarrow
    12 years ago

Started sometime in 2004 I think under a different name. Started in Kitchens and drifted to Decorating but then spent more time at Hot Topics after we finished our kitchen reno. Found myself spending WAY too much time there and had to quit cold turkey. Changed my password to gibberish so I couldn't log back in. Drifted back under this name in 2008--just before the election to see what the chatter was. Have lurked here since then off and on, not allowing myself to become overly involved.

I remember the toilet seat thread and have loved the threads where someone asks for a little help in rearanging furniture. I love the before pictures and then the pictures following suggestions and the advice given for tweaks..then the final results. I have learned much and have popped in and out of other forums as the need for advice and information has arisen. Haven't found anything quite like it--in content or tone--elsewhere.

• User
    12 years ago

I first registered officially in 2008--- but lurked for at least three years prior. We had moved from Florida to Georgia in 2002, and in 2004 I was still trying to figure out what to do with a big brick Colonial when we moved to a nother property (the forever house) in an adjacent town in 2005. Since then we have changed almost everything about the house, renovating the exterior as i write, and I'm longing to downsize!

I remember when I first heard and saw the color Baby Turtle--- I thought it must be a mistake, but then saw the pictures of some beautiful rooms painted with it :) A lot of trendy water has gone under the gardenweb bridge, and I have enjoyed watching the show!

• Katie S
    12 years ago

Oh yes, baby turtle! it was in the same thread I first heard of and saw rh silver sage, and I have loved my silver sage bedroom every day!

• Vivian Kaufman
    12 years ago

I'm not an oldie... I'm an ancient. LOL My profile says 2004, but it was at least 6 years before that. Hung out on the Antique Roses forum for awhile, moved to the Garden Party at one point, then in 2000/2001, we did a kitchen remodel. Spent loads of time on the Kitchens forum.

My favorite posts have been about shoes on hardwood floors. LOL There used to be a man who posted who had the most lovely marble floors and tile work. Gosh, I forgot his name... But we had diametrically-opposed opinions. He was always SO, SO gracious.

I'm one of the BAHRR-sters, too, although I didn't build a new house. We've slowly been renovating a Gothic-revival Victorian for about 20 years.

Ridiculous. We should be done by now! LOL

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

I joined February 24th 2002...coming up on my 10th year
    anniversary.

I am happy to be a member of a forum that appreciates
    good-will and craig list finds, and willing to put in the
    effort to bring back the old pieces to their original
    glory, and many times even better!
    Also, I love unique
    things, and many of the members are like minded, so that's
    another reason why I like this forum. If I'm not involved in
    a project in my house, I can get involved in yours! :)

I also appreciate all the talented members and their
    willingness to share and help others.

J

• runninginplace
    12 years ago

Skatiero, I remember you-how nice to hear from you. And how wonderful that your life has gotten so much better!

I registered in 2003, and am another of the probably very tiny minority who actually paid to be here. I had been reading for awhile before that so I'm going to say this is a decade celebration for me this year :).

Ann

• Katie S
    12 years ago

Runninginplace, so good to "see" you! These forums and the lovely people who frequent them were such a comfort to me. This was a safe and encouraging place for me during very, very dark days. I do not get on here often now. I paint as much as I can, still do occasional large art projects like the life-sized Kentucky Derby horses and the 10' tall guitar for Brooks and Dunn, and right now I am doing an 8' tall astronaut mural for the us space and rocket center, and I teach special education full time (finished the masters in '09 while teaching full time and also parenting full time, and after a brutal and devastating divorce which was less brutal and devastatingnthan the marriage it ended. I later remarried, and my husband is a gentle gem and one of the hardest working people I know. He cooks, he cleans, he can build anything and is a jack-of-all-trades, literally. He is a master locksmith by trade, put himself through college working as a mechanic. He can fix anything. Best of all, he is the kindest and most selfless person and sets a wonderful example for our seven children. (he brought his three from his own first marriage.) We are both passionate about volunteerism and he started a group at our elementary school a few years ago which has dads, uncles, and grandads volunteering at the school daily. Meanwhile, I teach special-needs preschool there and love every minute of it. Our children are in grades three through nine, one in every grade; four boys and three girls. We are poor but very happy.

• runninginplace
    12 years ago

Hope it doesn't embarrass you, but Skatiero, your story is such an inspiration to start out a fresh new year! I remember you sharing some of your projects, if you get a chance and would like to show some now, I know many people would be amazed to see what you do.

And, a good reminder that we can't know what our online friends are going through in real life, but sometimes we can know that this community makes a difference and helps those who are in a dark and difficult place in life.

So happy to hear your update...please don't be a stranger :).

Ann

• lefleur1
    12 years ago

Does anyone know what happened to a *very regular* poster who I haven't seen for quite some time now? She was from Alaska ~ had a son with medical problems ~ bought a Victorian house ~ etc. etc.

• natal
    12 years ago

Igloochic posted on Conversations a month or so ago.

• susanilz5
    12 years ago

According to my profile page I've been popping in since January of 2002. I remember paying to be a member.

I've visited different forums over the years, changing between them depending on what was going on in my life at the time. Everyone is so helpful and I feel so smart after I spend some time lurking the forums before starting a new project!

• sarahandbray
    12 years ago

I think I'm an oldtimer!! Been using this website as a great reference to redo my kitchen and research other bits and pieces for my 1870's Victorian in upstate, NY. Guess I should go and check how long I've been here--no idea!
    -Sarah from Albany, NY

• mitchdesj
    12 years ago

Lynn, I was also on GI for a while when it was really active ; homeportfolio.com had a very active forum at one point ( not anymore) and a member there told me about thathomesite, I started out at the cooking forum, then decorating.

It's nice to recognize the different names above !!!!

I think thathomesite is quite unique as far as forums go, none other has the following and tradition that this one has, yet it evolves and changes with new posters all the time, so it's fresh and vibrant. Why else would I come here and read every day after all this time.

• cindyandmocha
    12 years ago

Wow I feel older now.. I guess I am. My preferences say it was Feb. 2004 but I know I too signed up a few times before then and remember when we had to pay as well.

I remember starting out reading about roses, and stumbled onto the home forums. From there it was a marathon reading session because we were *thinking* about a bathroom remodel. I remember wanting to adopt Bill Vincent when we actually did it, he was awesome. After that I tackled the second bathroom.

There was the deck and backyard remodel, and of course the pet's forum, which I always check in on.

More recently it was the huge kitchen-gutting and remodel. A most recent of all was my den, which I haven't even posted any pics of yet.

Next will be the master bedroom -- am saving the best for last.

My fondest memory was the outpouring of sympathy when Rusty and Mocha both passed away last year.

I'm not so sure I'm fond of the MCM trend, but I sure have noticed it. I have graduated from British Colonial to Art Deco however - at least somewhat.

I've also noticed the trend shift from chocolate/blue to grey/yellow lately. But I can't give up my chocolate love :)

• tarzy
    11 years ago

Wow. I've been a member since 2002, but haven't been around for quite a while. It's so nice to see these familiar names. I didn't post all that often, but learned so much from everyone. I'm still in my Spanish revival house ... and still trying to "get it right." (I'm laughing about Baby Turtle. I remember those discussions!)

• tarhlfan
    11 years ago

I signed up in Aug. 06, but like alot of others, lurked around quite awhile before that. Seems like I go in spurts, on every day, then not for months. I guess depending on what is going on in life. I too, remember the hilarious toilet seat decor discussion. There have been many funny threads, but that is the only one I can recall at the moment. I can't remember what I did yesterday! Can't even think of how I found this site, only glad that I did.

• deegw
    11 years ago

My page says May 2001. It seems like it was the second time I signed up. Back then, here was some back and forth about paying, not paying, ads, no ads. I've moved twice since then!

I don't remember how I first stumbled on to the site. I started remodeling a kitchen shortly after and the kitchen forum encouraged me to think out of the box and use honed marble subways and honed jet mist granite in my kitchen. I don't think it's an out of the box look any longer but I really loved my old kitchen.

My most poignant memory was when an active and helpful regular on the buying and selling homes forum shared with us that his infant daughter had died.

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

deee, I remember that person, his name was Dave I think, what a story.

I guess this thread is going to reach the max eventually, it was fun to read it again this evening.