SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakabedy_gw

Spending on improvements vs. current economy

jakabedy
15 years ago

Is anyone else sort of perched permanently on the fence? We have some money set aside for "projects" for the home. We had met with a landscape designer and had everything in place for them to start in a few weeks on some work. But I chickened out last night and had DH call to tell them we liked the plan and wanted to do it, but needed to wait until spring.

DH asked me if I was having second thoughts because I was thinking the money should be spent somewhere else (we have kitchen work to do, too). I thought about it and realized, no, I wanted to do the landscaping. I just wanted the money in the savings account more than I wanted the landscaping!

We live fairly frugally, don't use credit, no payments except the mortgage, etc. We've got sufficent reserves to weather us through a job loss (both of our employers are going through some changes, which makes things a bit iffy). But it's not as though the "project" money could be the only thing between us and the bread line.

The work we're doing is for us -- not for resale. So it's not a question of whether we'll "get it back" if and when we sell. I've learned that I'm OK with small spending here and there. We bought a new dishwasher several weeks ago, and spent about $300 on DIY floor install in one bedroom. But when I see a big chunk about to leave the balance sheet, I freak out!

Everyone here seems so confident, so ready to move forward with their plans. Please tell me I'm not the only fraidy cat out here!

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio