SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Where/how can I learn these electrical questions

caroline94535
16 years ago

I posted this on the Remodeling Forum, and they suggested I try here. I'm trying to get outlets and switches replaced in two rooms. Sorry for the long saga, but...

How do I know if I have "one post" or "two post" outlets and light switches?

How do I replace old two-prong outlets with a new three-prong outlets?

I'm battling a 1960s house. It's horrid.

Right now I need to replace seven outlets and four light switches in the laundry/mudroom and master bedroom. A licensed electrician did wire in new outlet boxes on either side of where my bed will be, but I've not seen him since. I need to install the outlets so I can move into the bedroom. All the other outlets need to be upgraded to three-prongs. The boxes and wires around them are filled with drywall dust and sawdust from the remodeling work.

I bought seven 15-amp outlets, but then read that my washing machine must have a 20-amp outlet. How do I know if the wiring is correct for a 20-amp outlet? I also found out two of my light switches are "three-way" because they have other switches that control the same lights.

Is there a good site that can walk me through installing these 11 items? I've got to get my rooms set up and start living in this place. These rooms have been torn apart since July.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Light Switches...

One light switch controls the overhead light in the bedroom.

One controls the overhead light in the laundry room; there's another switch for it in the kitchen.

One controls the two outside garage lights; there's another switch for them in the garage.

One controls the motion-detector light near the laundry/mud room door. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't.

Outlets...

One is for the washing machine. The dryer had a new outlet that was moved up from the floor and re-installed by the electrician.

One is one a blank wall near the laundry tub. It will be used mostly for a boot dryer, ironing, and the vacuum.

The other five are spread around the walls of the bedroom. They will power lamps, clocks, apnea machines, etc.

Comments (7)