SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homebound_gw

countertop lighting - direct wire

homebound
15 years ago

Based on my description, I hope you can tell what the original builder's (now gone) intent may have been regarding counter top lighting for a large, island kitchen with cabinets, etc. on 3 walls.

Under six wall cabinets spread around the kitchen fairly wall, I have a single 14/2 cable (about 1' each) poking out of the center of the underside of the wall cabinets. They are all on the same wall switch.

What does that indicate, in terms of options?

I "think" the intent could be for direct-wired fluorescents (mounted close to the wall) just for each of those 6 areas, which does seemed balanced enough (skipping just an adjacent cabinet in two or three places. Anything else come to mind, in terms of likely options?

This is my first time dealing with undercounter lighting. Hypothetically, if someone wanted puck lights, how would that be done? Would one have to extend the 14/2 up between and above the cabinets and install outlets, etc?

Finally, sounds like the likelihood for a lot of wiring with puck lights, since the cabinet undersides are exposed. Does that also mean puck lights are out for this job?

Thanks very much.

Comments (8)