SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
writersblock_gw

electrical panel access

We're thinking of a major remodel to our townhouse, which would include removing the wall between the kitchen and dining room to make a large eat-in kitchen. Ideally, we'd like to run cabinets all the way along the long wall that would result from removing the divider, but the problem is that the electrical panel is at one end of the dining room on the perpendicular wall, so we would have to stop the cabinets in a stupid looking place to leave enough room to comply with the access requirements.

Now, we're upgrading the wiring, so theoretically the new box could go elsewhere, but the building is poured concrete, so it wouldn't be worth the effort (wiring is all in conduit, 1979 vintage).

So my questions are these: On the other side of the interior wall where the box is now is the washing machine cubby. Could the box turn around to face into there, given that it's quite high above the actual machine? (I suspect the answer is no.)

Or, would it be within code to run a low cabinet over to end on the wall beneath the box in its current location? There would be full access, nothing directly in front, and the low cabinet far below the level of the access panel. Cabinet would only be 12" deep, so no problem reaching anything, but I'm not sure about the total clearance code requires. The panel is out a few inches from the corner, so there would only be about 8" of the cabinet depth directly below the panel.

Comments (23)