SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottium

GFCI outlet & Power-vent water heater

scottium
15 years ago

Here is the storyÂsomewhat shortened. About 4 months ago woke up to little hot water. Discovered that the GFCI outlet the Natural Gas Power-vent water heater was plugged into had tripped. I reset it and the water heater restarted.

A couple days later the same things happened, but this time not only did the water heater start when I reset it, I heard a sump-pump kick on for a few seconds and then the GFCI outlet tripped again. I unplugged the sump-pump (moved it to a different circuitÂ.didnÂt realize it was on the same circuit as the water heater), reset the GFCI outlet and the heater started up.

A few weeks went by when I woke to little hot water again. Reset the GFCI outlet and the water heater stated up. This started off happening 1-2 per week and over the past week has moved to 1-2 per day.

I replaced the GFCI outlet, but that did not help. I disconnected everything down line of the outlet, so only the line from the breaker to the outlet and only the water heater plugged into the outlet. The GFCI outlet is still randomly tripping. When I reset it, the heater starts and runs for about 15 minutes until the water is back at temp and then turns off (not tripping). I have never actually seen it trip. I can come back after taking a hot shower and it sometimes is tripped but other time is not.

OK last bit of infoÂ.the water heater is 12 years old (probably nearing the end of its life), but I donÂt want to replace it if there is an unrelated electrical problem causing the GFCI outlet to trip.

Suggestions?

Comments (9)