SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lsst_gw

Reinforcing electrical ceiling box to support heavy fixture

lsst
16 years ago

Our house is 3 years old. When it was built, I asked the electrician to add a strong support box for an "in the future" heavy chandelier.

At that time, I bought a "make do" chandelier that weighed about 40 pounds. The chandelier is above the staircase.

I recently bought my dream chandelier. It is 42 inches by 42 inches. The frame weighs about 50 pounds but it has about 100 pounds of crystals that I will add after it is installed.

The chandelier is about 14 feet above the steps and a pain to reach so I went into the attic to see what type of electrical box was used.

This is a photo of it.

{{!gwi}}

The box is attached on one side to a joist. Obviously, it is not attached to anything on the other side of the box. There is an attic rafter right above it. I am not sure with only one side screwed or nailed to the joist that it will support 150 pounds.

I need to make sure this chandelier is very well supported. What can I add to this to make the box support 150 pounds?

I have seen the bracket supports that are placed between joist for ceiling fans but I do not see any way this box could be removed and replaced. I have a plaster medallion on the ceiling side so a box could not be removed from that side.

I mentioned to my husband about adding 2x4 supports to the joist to add blocking so that I could support the other side of the electrical box. He suggested I ask here.

I also have read about adding a support cable to the chandelier. Would this be a good idea and where would I buy one?

An electrician will be installing the chandelier but he is extremely busy. If my husband and Icould do the reinforcing of the box, it would make the electrician's job easier.

Thanks in advance

Comments (27)