SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
straightahead_gw

Wiring in Walls? And, Hardwire Under Cabinet Lighting?

straightahead
15 years ago

Thanks to all of the great advice I have read here.

3 Questions:

1) According to code and good practice, is there a limit to how many cables I can run through the drilled holes in my studs?

I wouldn't try to squeeze more cables than would comfortably fit. If there is a limit, is it good practice to drill a second series of holes (I'm concerned that the stud would get weakened by more than one hole.)

2) I need to run 2 new 20 amp circuits to my kitchen. Is it proper to run a 12-3 cable from the panel to the first outlet in my kitchen and splitting there in the box to the two circuits? A friend of mine told me his electrician did it this way, but I have a feeling this would not be good as the 2 circuits would share the neutral and ground and this would mess up the GFCI. Any advice appreciated.

3)I am planning on hardwiring some under cabinet lights in the kitchen. Something I just read in a wiring book indicated that there should be a box in the wall and then the cable should run from the box to the under cabinet lighting fixture.

I had previously learned that every box needs to be accessible. So what is proper here: a) having a hidden box in the wall, b) having an accessible box in the wall (that doesn't contain a switch nor an outlet) that looks terrible, c) what I was originally planning: running the cable through a small hole in the drywall and then through the cabinet frame to the fixture, or d) any better ideas as to how to handle this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (6)