SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

Quick Light Wiring Question...Is this safe?

andrelaplume2
16 years ago

We were in Lowes and picked out two ceiling lights for our hallway. These lights are outside of our bedrooms. They were typical bronze ringed with a glass globe. They were about $20 a peice. Before purchasing we ran over to Home Depot. We found what appeared to be the same lights in a *2 pack* for $14. Same style light for $14 a pair as opposed to $40. We bought them.

When I opened the package at home I was surprised. They seamed constructed as well as the one I opened at Lowes. This one though only took a single 75W bulb, I think the Lowes on took two 75 watt bulbs. No matter though, I figured I'd put a 23W (100w equivalent) cfb in there as I have done in other areas of my home. Since there are two lights in the hall with in 15 feet of each other, that should be plenty of light.

Ok, I am removing my old ceiling lights and just about to install the new one when I see this funcky connector on the black wire and another on the white wire. It sort of looks like a phone jack but the black wire is inserted into this clear connector and into a brass piece therein. There is another slot for the house wire to be inserted into... Same with the white wire. The instructions call it a quick connect. It seams real convenient but is this method safe? Should I return the lights? They are UL listed and I used to figure anything sold at these stores would have to be safe. After all the hoopla lately with dangerous junk coming from China, I am concerend.

What do you think?

Comments (2)