SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poppasmurf_gw

Service Wiring to Sub Panel

poppasmurf
16 years ago

I need advice on how to deal with ground & neutral at & to my new detached garage sub-panel. I have a modular home (similar to mobile)on a steel chasis with a 100 amp service panel (with no further space/access to it through the conduit). The factory bonded the house panel grnd.to the steel frame, I extended this down to an approved buried ground plate. I brought a 200 amp underground service into home, it pops up at o/s wall to meter and then down again into my crawl space. Between meter & panel I interupted the wire through a 200 amp disconnect and then up to my house panel. This service wire is 2/2 Al(inspected & passed in 1992). I now want to connect into this disconnect with left over 2/2 Al and through a fused 100 disconnect and underground through buried conduit to my 100 amp garage panel (that has 100 amp main breaker)How do I treat ground and neutral. Drive new ground rods and ground this sub-panel, and leave grnd/neutral bonded in it. Or do I extend existing ground to garage sub-panel, and find a big neutral from house panel, and remove bond in sub-panel between neutral and ground?? Appreciate help and alternatives. I think I should treat sub-panel as equal to main house panel, and drive new ground rods etc.

Comments (7)