SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bnicebkind

The holidays are coming...and may be bringing difficult family

bnicebkind
17 years ago

I just wanted to pass along something that I heard on the radio. I have listened to women call two separate radio psychologists to ask for advice to get through the holidays with a family member that caused them so much emotional distress. In each of the cases that I listened to, it happened to be women dreading spending the holiday with a mother-in-law who was critical, and negative, etc, and in both cases, just the thought of seeing this person over the holidays was...well...ruining the holidays, and the days leading up to the holiday. Both psychologists gave the same advice.

They told the woman to "just be pleasant" and behave as if that person was no more then their husbands boss. Or the wife of their boss. You would be polite, no more, and no less. You would be respectful, and pleasant, but somewhat emotionally detached.

This was how they were advised to behave with problem relatives. Don't get drawn into it.

They say every family has at least one member who creates pain and strife, or is difficult.

So I thought I would pass this on, and hope it helps somehow.

Comments (12)