SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom2emall

Too young for highlights?

mom2emall
15 years ago

So for Christmas one present we gave to my sd's and myself was a girls spa day! We got a giftcard to a local salon and decided I would go with the girls and get manicures, pedicures, etc.

We went yesterday for our spa day. Well they had a special going on and the services were cheaper than usual and we had money left over from the gift card. Middle sd was begging to get her hair highlighted. She has light brown hair and begged for light blonde highlights. I told her that I would call dh and discuss it with him. We agreed that she could get partial highlights in a brownish blonde that was close to her natural color. This would be pretty inexpensive and look pretty natural. We decided to go with thin highlights instead of chunks to keep it looking natural.

Older sd did not want highlights but to use her leftover money to buy products, such as the good shampoos and hair sprays, etc.

So we allowed middle sd to get it done. It really looks cute. It is noticable to all those know her, but to a stranger it has that sunkissed natural look. I did not want to post her pic, so I found one on the internet that is almost identical to the color of her hair and highlights.

http://www.hji.co.uk/hjimages/images/qhs28807/hji/medium/2006-highlights-asymmetric.jpg

That link will show you the color it is. SD LOVED it and we all thought it looked really nice and natural on her. She was gleaming in the salon from excitement.

Anyways, BM called yesterday to see if she could take the kids for a few hours today. So she picked them up and upon returning them she began saying she could not believe that we allowed a child so young to get highlights and we were ruining her hair and how dare we do this. SD then said it did not even look good!

DH basically walked bm to her car and told bm that he did not need her permission to get the girls hair dyed or even shaved off. BM of course did not like that.

After bm left we asked sd if she would like to get rid of the highlights. She told us she loved them, but bm hated them and made her feel like she looks bad.

I am so irratated. Me and the girls had such a great time and sd was so excited about her new look and BM had to ruin it, as she tries to ruin everything else!

Do you really think that at 12 it was awful for us to allow partial highlights close to her hair color?

Comments (12)

• kkny
    15 years ago

I dont think it could do any permenant damage. I assume this is a one step process. I think it is a little young, and can understand mom getting upset. Dads reaction didnt help to say the least. I forget -- how is custody divided? If mom has any relationship, I would have asked her -- but these things always come up when your not expecting them. Teens arent easy. I would suggest to Dad he think ahead re peircings, tatoos (ahhh), etc and try to figure out ahead of time what should be agreed on.

• iloveexercise
    15 years ago

I think 12 may be too young to start dyeing it permanent colors (only because they can be so hard to get rid of in some cases/colors) BUT highlights I see absolutely nothing wrong with!
    No real different then going outside with lemon juice on your hair on a sunny day.

The important thing here is that SD likes it,and she wanted it! I think it's sad her mom made her feel bad about how she looks.

• Related Discussions

Too old to cage, too young to pick

Q

Comments (7)
    I have done the very same thing--only to regret it tremendously. The fruit that touches the ground rots, the fruit off the ground hidden in the jungle mass of branches rots from insect damage that I can not monitor, and the fruit on top gets sunscalded and rots. I lose most of them. Can you tell I don't like sprawling? Having said that people in your area (from what I have read here) let their plants sprawl all the time without enduring all the problems I encounter so I would not attempt to raise them. They are a pain to pick on the ground but you should not have the total loss I get.
    ...See More

Too Young To Feed?/ Paling Top Leaves Fix?

Q

Comments (14)
    Feeding at this age also results in that kind of colour on the leaves You should add some garden soil to your next soil mix especially if you use Coco coir Also if you cut the leaves they will do this which is perfect for scorpion plantsim sure I overfed mine at first as I used 1 part canna professional 1 part Coco coir and half a part garden soil.I only used small amounts of chili focus so it wasn't underfeeding that was the problem Asses environmental factors. Get some mycorrhiza it enables the roots to absorb up to 6x more nutrients as it's fungi that feed the plant by embedding into the roots in exchange for sugars, etc.
    ...See More

Too Young To Die! (For a Peach Tree)

Q

Comments (1)
    Look up "shot hole disease" on peach trees. Look like you have a bad case of it,
    ...See More

Young Apple Trees Growing Too Tall

Q

Comments (1)
    Go ahead and top them. There 's good information about planting new fruit trees here: http://homeorchard.ucdavis.edu/8048.pdf This information is from the University of California. Your state should have similar resources.
    ...See More
  • mom2emall
    Original Author
    15 years ago

KKNY:

Dad has sole custody. Bm has seen kids 3 times in 2 1/2 years. BM moved away for 2 years and moved back a few months ago. She has not been very involved in their lives as far back as I have been in the picture. BM never consulted with us before when her bf gave ss a buzz cut on a night long visit. And we never said a word to her about it.

No permanent damage will be done to sd's hair. We were caught off guard by the idea from sd. Me and DH have talked about tattoos and piercings before and that we will not allow it until they are of legal age to get it done themselves without our consent.

• finedreams
    15 years ago

might be a bit young. DD was not allowed to do any alterations to her hair at 12. But I am not saying I am right, I wanted her to wait at least until high school but it is not the rule.

Now as I understand BM is not involved and almost never sees the kids, like months or even years at the time. and she has no custody and is not in the picture (unless she is now?) so i don't understand how it is her problem...As a custodial parent I made these decisions and didn't ask X. We consulted about education and similar issues but not about hair dye. it would be too weird to discuss every little thing. so is mom getting involved now? i remember she wasn't. unless she is custodial and is involved these decisions could be made by dad without consulting wiht her.

• believer
    15 years ago

My sd10 has had highlights in her hair twice....very mildly. Since DD20 is in the biz we get things done more often and it's cheaper. sd10 isn't hung up on it and hasn't asked for it again.

If DH has custody the he need not consult the mom.

So no, I don't think 12 is to young to give this a try. It is just a fun thing to do.

• justnotmartha
    15 years ago

SD13 has been asking for highlights for the last year or so and we have told her no. Not so much that we think it a horrible idea. but more that we feel SD is a little too hung up on how she looks vs. who she is that we don't want to encourage the looks part. SD is a strikingly beautiful girl (and knows it) but of late her personality hasn't been as beautiful. We try to shift the focus to working on making her inner self beautful rather than the outer when we can. Refusing highlights is just one of those ways.

As for mom poo pooing it - I think she's horrible. She has no right to show up once in a blue moon and make her daughter feel bad because she's pissed she wasn't part of the decission making process. Try showing up and being involved in their day to day lives, lady. Then you might get a say about their hair!!

• mom_of_4
    15 years ago

well, as far as 'mom' is concerned she doesnt get to say anything... I know that sounds bad to some... but her voluntary uninvolvment means she doesnt get a say in what you do.

Otherwise... I probably would have said no only because I feel like it does kill the hair to have bleaches and dies in it.... but I think you did the best route subtle and classy and it made her feel good so who cares. I have told my sd (because she is on this kick that she wants blonde hair and she had gorgeous brown curly hair) that she is not allowed to permenantly die her hair until she is 16. I am sure that will change down the line but right now that is her target age... I dont really have an issue with color and what not I just dont want her to fry her hair. btw she is 7 ... so it starts early

• colleenoz
    15 years ago

When my DD was about that age it was all the rage to dye your hair a really fake red colour- DD wanted to so I actually helped her choose a rinse and did it myself. When we went to see my mother for Christmas my mother was very disapproving and asked DD if I knew what she'd done (like I couldn't see it myself!) so I told Mom, well, I actually did it! I couldn't see the hang up, it's only hair after all and will grow out. Not like a tattoo or a piercing. From memory DD didn't redye with the red, though she did experiment with dark browns... and managed to grow up pretty normal and well adjusted :-)

• deborah_ps
    15 years ago

Mom of 4,
    Overuse/misuse of a product damages hair, not the product or procedure in of itself.
    Done professionally hair can be colored/highlighted time and again without ill effects and in fact can enhance naturally dry hair.
    I've actually used dye/highlights to add shine to enhance hair that has become stressed from heating implements, questionable shampoo/conditioners, or general careless brushing techniques.
    It's okay if you don't want your child to chemically alter their hair on principle, but a blanket statement that dyes and or bleaching "kills" or "fries" hair is just not true.
    And you're right, at 7 years old, I believe it's too young to even entertain the idea :)

• mom2emall
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks girls for all your comments. It made me really upset that bm thought she had the right to prance in here when she felt like it and bash us! If she thinks we are doing such a horrible job raising the kids why doesn't she bother seeing them more? Guess it is just easier for her to try to find fault in what we are doing then look at the glass house she is throwing rocks from.

I think sd looks pretty cute with the highlights. And like I said they are very natural looking and strangers would think it was her natural hair.

I was just upset that bm took a fun day that me and the girls shared and turned it into something that middle sd felt bad about. Its not fair to any of us.

• ashley1979
    15 years ago

"I was just upset that bm took a fun day that me and the girls shared and turned it into something that middle sd felt bad about. Its not fair to any of us."

Mom2emall - You just hit the nail on the head. It's not about hair color; it's about YOU having a great time with HER daughters and she has to ruin it in some way.

Remember the story about my accidentally seeing FSD's text to BM? Well, the day before, I had taken her and DS to an amusement park. It was the PERFECT day! No lines and even a concert (we didn't know anything about) by a VERY popular hip-hop artist that was clean and fun and ended up being free. FSD said "This is the best day of my life". I was so excited that I could be there with her hand help her have that experience! So she told BM about it that night after we got home. The next day was when she texted BM that she wasn't having any fun with me. So, I put 2 and 2 together and figured out that BM was jealous that I got to give FSD the "best day" of her life. What is she so mad about? I gave her 1 good day and she gives her her EVERY day.

Yesterday, I took FSD to the amusement park. We had a great time, although not exactly like the other time. As we were leaving, FSD says "Oh I have to call my mom because she told me to". BM just wants to break up any good time we may be having.

BTW, Deborah_ps is correct when she said "Done professionally hair can be colored/highlighted time and again without ill effects and in fact can enhance naturally dry hair." My hair is fine and often gets dull, dry and flat. My hair stylist puts a Redken glaze on it to give it some shine and moisture. Also, the color adds volume because it expands the hair strand causing fine hair (such as mine) to be fuller. This was all told to me by my hair stylist that I've been going to for several years. My hair has never looked better! I used to do highlights, but my hair is too fine to handle the bleaching.

BUT, the great thing about hair is that it does grow back. ESPECIALLY on a 12 year old. Any damage that might be done by a little bleach is only temporary and will grow out. The only concern I would have with her coloring her hair would be if she looked too grown-up for her age. But you, being an adult and a mother and the mother that lives with her, are qualified to make that decision. You were very responsible in asking her dad and making sure that it looked natural. Good job!

• lamom
    15 years ago

Mom2emall,

I agree with Ashley, BM didn't like that you and her girls had fun. Highlights are not big deal, stores sell temporary and semi-permanent hair dyes for the tween set. She just didn't like that you were the one doing a rite of passage thing with her maturing daughter.

BM was wrong to make the girl feel bad. Maybe, like a lot of moms with daughters (I thank the Lord every day that I have a son, hair cut, nails clean and he's good to go) she has her own ideas about when it's appropriate to dye hair, get manicures, start wearing make-up etc. If she really does, she should take it up with you since you are the mom on the scene without acting so ugly.

I agree that the dad didn't help with the I'll do what I want when I want attitude. That just inflames people. I'm sure he thought he was backing you up so that's good.