SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thurman_gw

how little things become everything

thurman
17 years ago

Dear friends,

I really appreciate your sharing of your lives as stepparents. It is nice to know we're not crazy and we're not alone.

I'm finding it's those little things that mount for me. My stepdaughter is a pretty successful kid. She is going to be a doctor. Doesn't sleep around as far as I know. Goes to church. All good things!

So, my wife and I don't fight over issues like "she's pregnant and dumping her kids on us," or "she steals money to buy drugs."

But it's the little things that mount, and hurt, and end up dividing us. As one writer of a post said, being upset because a stepchild doesn't say hello when they come into a room sounds petty...but it hurts. It sends a message that your presence doesn't matter. If it happened once, you'd ignore it. I've been there. I'd say, "oh she's just a kid." Maybe I'd overlook the 3rd or 4th or 9th time. By double-digits, I've had enough.

When your bio-child does it, it doesn't hurt. You have a history of mutual, unconditional love together. When a stepchild does it, it reinforces the fact that they may not like you or respect you. Every little event carries lots of emotional weight. Ouch!

Also-- when bio-child is rude, if you're any kind of parent, you usually say, "hey, when you come into a room, try saying hello." Do that with your stepchild and it might start WWIII. My problem is so much is pent up from the prior 100 times that happened that I usually end up exploding as I'm trying to say something to correct the behavior. All of that rage and anger comes out, and a molehill quickly becomes a volcano.

In the traditional family like the one I grew up in, my Mom and Dad were like rocks. You couldn't divide them no matter how hard you tried. But in our stepfamily, Mom doesn't have stepDad's back. In fact, she is probably the stauchest defender of little poopsie (that was this awful pet name she had for her daughter that made me gag). She could see no wrong, and I felt like a prosecutor trying to prove a case. It was like O.J.: I'd show 143 different little acts of either showing disrespect or a hostile spirit, but little poopsie would deny it, and Mom would find her "Not guilty." Or would provide an excuse. "You know little poopsie is on her period." To which I would scream, "on her period? For 15 freakin years?!" Good grief.

How do we handle those little grievances, hurts, incivilities, impoliteness, rudeness, etc.? Especially when our partner has left us in the wind? Do we go to our Pastors, our counselors, or our friends? Do we put up video cameras to prove that the stepchild is not who she appears to be?

The little things mount, and can become a big thing. How to deal with little things, and defuse them, before they become a big part of a stepparent's life is a key issue. We were not able to do it, and nearly two decades later, we're all pretty much in the same place.

Thurman

Comments (7)