SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terilynv

What is the one little thing?

terilyn
13 years ago

That drives you nuts? That someone in the household does but, isn't big enough to say anything about? For myself, it is crumbs from toast on the far end of my giant farmhouse sink to wash out every day. Not big enough to say anything, just arghhh!

Comments (46)

• vannie
    13 years ago

DH eats ice. I not only hate listening to it, I can't imagine what it's doing to his teeth. But, no, I have said something--plenty of times. LOL Ah, to no avail.

• Toni S
    13 years ago

The kids leaving their clothes inside out by the washer. Especially socks or jeans. I do have them put them rightside out quite often. They have a hard time learning this simple request. With all their sports and living here on the farm, I see plenty of inside out socks. It really bugs me to stick my hands in so many of them.

• Related Discussions

What the heck is this little thing?

Q

Comments (20)
    Hello, I am not sure what it is yet I have similar things growing from an never blooming Orchid plant - bought on cheap sale rack at Lowe's 2 yrs ago-- it has a few leaves and after a summer on the porch it looks good and gives me hope--poor thing is hopeless Just love our interesting world of plants...never boring !! Looking forward to some warmth here in MA -from a freezing snowy winter to a cold wet Spring with a few beautiful day tossed in as teasers-Tulips coming up happy little guys....
    ...See More

what the heck is this little thing :)

Q

Comments (3)
    Well, I suppose one could do that.. I don't find that the petals/flowers have much taste (as compared to, say, nasturtium), but they certainly aren't poisonous and I guess they would add colour. Calendula officinalis is called "pot marigold", since the greens were boiled as a vegetable in "merrie olde England".
    ...See More

What are the little cotton ball looking things

Q

Comments (10)
    I'm glad you guys are talking about this.....my problem with Mealybug has been a comedy of errors. I've even tried importing ladybugs via FedEx, and that didn't quite work out. Here's the deal....I've got TONS of Mealybugs. I've even gone so far as to pick them off the plants, one by one. But they always find the blooms, or the new growth, and a lot of my trees are in sorry shape right now. As far as the alcohol solution....I'll give it another try but it seems to me I tried it several months back with little success. At one point I actually dropped a live Mealybug into a small cup of alcohol just to see if it would die, and it didn't!!! What gives?? I can't believe there's not a commercial spray out there that kills 'em without harming the tree. Right now I'm trying an organic solution that I bought at Lowe's. I'm totally obsessed with ridding these buggers....I'm like the Bill Murray character from Caddyshack, trying to kill all the gophers!
    ...See More

What would you do with this little slip of a thing?

Q

Comments (9)
    I would plant it - it is nice and full for a newbie. Mine is still in its pot and for whatever reason the leaves are smaller this year. I am looking for a good spot for it in one of my beds at the moment. Manyhosta, yours is gorgeous!!! Love the softer colour. ConnieMae, I haven't looked at the Library photos or googled but I was surprised to see the corrugation as in your photo! Equally stunning and those leaves look huge! Love this hosta! Glad I have one!
    ...See More
  • Lindsey_CA
    13 years ago

Pretty much everyone is familiar with the saying "pick your battles," but I used to work with someone who would say, "you have to pick the hill you want to die on." Always cracked me up.

I digress...

Hubs and I have been together for 30 years and I know there are things he does that drive me nuts at the time he's doing them, but right now I honestly can't think of anything. I guess it's because I'm upstairs and he's downstairs, so he's not doing anything to make me crazy at the moment... :-)

Oh, I thought of one (since he's in the kitchen and this one is kitchen related). You know how bagels and bread come in plastics "bags" that have those little hard plastic thing-a-ma-jigs to keep the bag closed? Not the twist tie things, but the little square things that have a slit in one edge and a hole in the middle? You twist the bag a couple times then slip that plastic thing on it to keep it closed. Anyway, Hubs has a habit that bugs me -- he somehow manages to lose those things and ends up just twisting the bag and setting it down with the end of the bag sort of "tucked under" the main part of the bag (that still has bagels/bread in it), like that's going to keep it closed and the contents fresh.

• carol_in_california
    13 years ago

I hate the way DH loads the dishwasher but as long as he cleans the kitchen after I cook, I don't complain.

• vannie
    13 years ago

That's funny, Carol. My DH says that I don't know how to load a dishwasher. Like he's done it a lot. Ah, men.

• OklaMoni
    13 years ago

I no longer have battles to fight.. cause I am on my own now. But..

Toni, quit turning the laundry "right side out". If the kids would like it right side out, they would put there that way. Just wash it the way you get it, dry it that way, and put it in their rooms that way.

Let them turn it, if they want it turned. :)

Moni

• jel48
    13 years ago

Toni and Moni, I've done that for years. Same with clothes other then socks. If it goes in the laundry wrong side out, it gets washed, dried, and hung up or folded wrong side out.

One of the irritating little things for me, is empty shower gel or shampoo bottles left on the edge of the bathtub instead of being rinsed out and put in the recycle bin. Why am I the only one in the household that knows how to rinse a bottle and carry it downstairs to the bin? I just haven't figured that out yet!

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

Just one? I know there are a few things that bug me, but the one that comes to mind, is when hubby comes home and he'll hang his coat on the doorknob. The closet is *right* there. Right next to the door. What's with that? When we're out together, he puts it away, so what's the difference?

• dotmom
    13 years ago

I;m another....wash, dry, fold and put clothes away the way they are put in the laundry....person. What bugs me is 6 out of 7 days I make the coffee in the morning, on the rare day Hubs makes it, he always askes if the coffee is OK, and I say it is good, thank you. Where is my...it is good, thank you...all of the mornings I make it?

• evatx
    13 years ago

DH had never loaded a dishwasher in over 30 years.
    Now he every time reloads it after I've already done it. My friends say just be glad he's helping but he isn't doing it to help...it's cause I'm not doing it right. :(

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

Evatx, that reminds me of my now-deceased aunt and uncle.
    For years she called him "Ida" As in, "I'da done this or that
    He always had a better way or idea, yet he never did a thing around the house.

• suzieque
    13 years ago

These are funny. And I was about to say the same thing about the laundry. If it comes to the washing machine inside out, that's the way it gets washed, dried, and returned.

Dotmom, I hear you. Annoying. When your husband makes the coffee he asks you if it's ok and you answer. Would you tell him it's good if he didn't ask? Maybe if, when you make it, you ask him if it's ok he'll tell you, same as when he makes it and asks you.

Mine? The crumbs that don't get cleaned up. Grrr.

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

I hate that he puts a tablespoon of water in a dirty dish and sets in on the counter. It's not enough water to soften any leftover food and it's just enough to splash me when I pick up the dish to put it in the dishwasher. Arghhhhh! I wish he would just set the dish in the sink, leave it on the table or the best solution, PUT IT IN THE DISHWASHER! It doesn't take any more time to put a dish in the dishwasher than to set it somewhere.

• User
    13 years ago

Here's the annoying thing my hubby does lately... he will go into the supermarket while hungry and load up the cart with sugary cereals, cookies, candy, tubs of sherbet, and other high fat or high sugar foods. But that's not the worst of it, he brings it all home and then NEVER eats it!
    I'm trying so hard to maintain a recent weight loss and I hate having all those temptations in the house.
    To be fair, he will eventually finish the sherbet, but very rarely will he ever eat the other items. If the grandchildren do not eat them, either they'll stay in there till they go stale or I'll break down and eat them. Ugh.

• sleeperblues
    13 years ago

DH flossing while watching TV. I cannot stand it and have repeatedly asked him to take it into the bathroom, where it should be done.

He also leaves his dishes by the side of the sink for the dish fairy to wash, dry, and put away.

• lydia1959
    13 years ago

I can relate to so much of this. lol

My mother flosses while she watches tv (thankfully, she does not live with me! :) I floss in the shower. Anybody that has flossed in front of a mirror knows that stuff splatters all over. Ick!

Eva... that has to be my cripe too. Sometimes it is nice to have someone take over the chore... but so many times I do something (add wood to the fire, vacuum out my car.. whatever DH considers a man's job) and he will be right behind me- redoing it! Makes me crazy!

• joyfulguy
    13 years ago

For the folks who don't see the need to rinse out shampoo bottles ...

... how about putting some water into the bottle, shaking it around some ...

... then squeezing some of the liquid over the miscreant's head when s/he sits down to dinner? If more than one - treat them all to the same courtesy; wouldn't want to be discriminatory, would we?

Same for the guy who puts a spoonful of water into the bottom of a dish.

And I was about to say that the stuff comes back from the wash in the fashion that it went into it: just cleaned, that's all. And if it was all squinched up when it went - that's the way that it'd come back: I'll be darned if I'd fold it all up nicely.

Them that doesn't have spouses/kids at home - don't have any such problems with which to deal.

Oh ... them mice ... what digs holes into the bottoms of bags o', e.g. sugar!!

ole joyful

• kayjones
    13 years ago

Please love your spouse just as he/she is - they can be gone in a heart beat! None of these trivial annoyances should matter, because you are blessed to still have your mate. My husband died 4 years ago and I would give anything to have him here with me!

• sleeperblues
    13 years ago

Awww Kay, now I feel bad I get annoyed. You are right, they are minor inconveniences. I'm so sorry for your sadness.

• terilyn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kay, I'm sorry this made you feel bad. My husband knows how much I love him and I know how much he loves me. I don't know what I'd do without him.

• socks
    13 years ago

When I'm cooking, "people" walking through the kitchen stick their fingers into whatever I'm chopping, stirring to have a taste.

"People" who put recycling in the green waste bins and vice versa. Then I have to straighten it out.

Waste, taking more than needed, buying un-needed things, buying too much, etc.

Sorry, it's more than one.

• mary_c_gw
    13 years ago

While I sympathize with anyone who has lost a spouse, people (all people!) are difficult to live with. It doesn't matter how much you love them. But when they're gone, perceptions change, and that which irritated the crap out of you for years, suddenly becomes endearing.

And yes, my DH never, ever rinses the crumbs out of the sink. It drives me crazy. It doesn't mean I don't love him.

• FlamingO in AR
    13 years ago

Woody seems to have forgotten how to close the closet doors in the LR. 2 bi-fold doors, wide open, unless I close them. I am so sick of seeing all of our coats and boots and hummingbird feeders and scarves and all that crap, all the time. I bet I close those doors 10 times a day. No, I haven't said anything to him yet, but surely he's heard me muttering and grumbling to myself as I do it!

He washed my car yesterday, I didn't even have to ask him to. (My car, my problem.) So I will let him live another day in peace. :)

• jannie
    13 years ago

I dn't know which I hate more-loading a dishwasher or emptying it out when everything is clean.

• Jodi_SoCal
    13 years ago

Flamey, just remove everything in the closet and replace it with a nude poster of your DH. He'll probably start closing the doors then. You can slowly start adding all of the clothes and hummingbird feeders back in. :-)

My DH is wonderful in so many ways. Once of the nicest guys I know ... but, he is human and with that comes bad habits.

He seldom (closer to never) covers left-overs he puts in the fridge. In 37 years I have never complained to him about it.

He insists on washing (he calls it rinsing) dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. I have talked to him about this and have even showed him articles how it's better to leave "some" food on the plates, etc. Oh well.

Lastly, he's always talking to me while he yawns. Drives me crazy. I've asked him kindly not to do it and he's been great about it. When he does start yawning while talking to me (should I be offended? LOL) I just softly yell :-) STOP and he does.

Jodi-

• vala55
    13 years ago

I have thought about this for a bit now and can't think of anything that annoys a lot, but then again I am single. Ten years ago I could have maxed out the reply box. I had an experience recently that let me know I don't need needy people in my life and that experience didn't last long enough to really be annoying.

• sandy_in_ia
    13 years ago

My husband is a pacer.......brushing his teeth...talking on the phone...planning his day...everything! I knew it 30 years ago...and I never expected it to change...and that is good, he still does it!

I am just glad that you can't ask this question of Dean...he could go on and on, I am sure! :/ LOL

• chisue
    13 years ago

Married over 40 years. I'm NOT GOING HERE. (Where would I stop?)LOL

• cheri2008
    13 years ago

First of all I will be the first to say my hubby is spoiled and I do over endulge him... but, when he goes to the frig, or cupboard scanning for a snack, then walks away, makes himself comfortable in front of ther tv, then calles out to me , hey would you mind bringing me.... whatever... ? irritating..... he was just there !

• Pieonear
    13 years ago

He has a habit that I've noticed other people doing and it kills me. :) For instance, if he is picking up a handfull of peanuts, he shakes the fist that is holding the nuts before throwing a few in his mouth. Then he chews, swallows, shakes his fist again, etc. I know it is silly that it bothers me. That fist could be beating me instead of shaking peanuts. LOL Have I mentioned it to him? Nope. :)

• 3katz4me
    13 years ago

I love the ones about flossing outside of the bathroom. DH and I both floss and brush all over the place (including the car) and rarely in the bathroom. Fortunately it doesn't bother either of us. I used to be a dental hygienist and apparently got him on board with the same oral hygiene practices I adopted. You might think yuck but how bad can it be - you go around with the stuff in your mouth most of the day.

• patti43
    13 years ago

I'm not a morning person, but Harry gets up, gets weighed, takes his BP, checks his blood sugar, goes to the kitchen and bangs around getting his bowl of cereal and then brings it to the table and starts crunch, crunch, crunching it. If I haven't been up long, I get up and go in another room. I know what Kayjones is saying is the absolute truth, but I sure dread that crunch!

He crunches ice, too, Vannie. Argggh!

• Marcia Thornley
    13 years ago

Opening my freezer and finding bags full of hockey pucks!!!
    One day I'm going to serve them to him for dinner!!!
    Picking socks up off the floor 6 inches away from the laundry basket!

• teresava
    13 years ago

My DH can not load a dishwasher to save his life, but then I see his parents and they do the same thing! lol Must be in the DNA. I usually fix it afterwards or do it first. You can fit more in if it's properly done.

My biggest thing is that he wastes things. I nag him about some which he has changed, leaving all the lights on, or running the water while brushing his teeth and speaking of, he uses a HUGE amount of toothpaste at one time. I've never seen someone use that much! lol

• country_sunshine
    13 years ago

My Bob used to leave lights on all over the house all the time... If I left the house for any reason, even for a few minutes... he would have all of them just blazing. It was nothing for me to come back from church and find 30 lights on (upstairs and down) and he sound asleep in bed.

He died Jan. 31, and yep, .... I would love to have him back even with those kinds of little annoyances... Only once did I scold him..and it didn't make a lick of difference, so I just used to go around behind him and turn off lights..

Carolyn tsaho

• marcy345
    13 years ago

Where to start and then stop? lol
    When I peel whatever I put a piece of wax paper down first and then wrap it and throw it away. He peels apples and pears and oranges then leaves the peeling right on the counter.

He gets up at 5:30 and on Saturday, if he wants us to go somewhere, I wake up to his cowboy boots clomping all over the house. I know he's ready to go right now and if I'm lucky I have 45 mins to wake up and get ready. It makes me crazy. I know to shower and have my hair clean on Fridays if I want to go with him. He's an Aries and impatience is his worse fault.

Marcy

• jemdandy
    13 years ago

Inside out socks in the laundry? No problem. Wash and dry them the way they are. When finished, sort out which garments belongs to whowm and hand the pile back to the user. They can sort out the stuff, invert the inside-out things before storing and wearing. The message gets across faster if they have to deal with it. You don't have to!

• wildchild
    13 years ago

DH is ready to pitch in whenever I ask. But and it's a big but he simply does not visually process things like spills or clutter. Every morning her drips coffee on the counter and sometimes the floor. Now this is a man who rinses the pot and the basket and puts the coffee maker away without fail but the drip on the counter he just doesn't "see".

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

Wildchild, you nailed it for I'll bet most of us.

We have to "ask" them to do things, they don't see it or do it automatically. How many times does someone walk by something that needed to be taken to another room, even when they're going to that room?

• dee_can1
    13 years ago

I think craving/chewing ice might indicate a nutritional deficiency of some sort. Iron anemia? Something like that.

• marcy345
    13 years ago

My mother used to put a towel over the oil stove and stand there and chew ice. I've never known of anyone else that does this.

Marcy

• pplantlady
    13 years ago

My roomate drives me insane with the big wad of keys hanging off of his belt. Sounds like a bloody jailer when walking about but on the other hand I can tell when he's around LOL. I also do the laundry and if it comes to me inside out ~ it gets returned inside out. Oh one other thing he does that irks me.... He never notices when the trash needs to be emptied in the kitchen. He'll pile trash up next to it. Geez, the cans are 3 feet outside the back door. Ok, thanks..... I'm better now that I've vented LOL.

• dances_in_garden
    13 years ago

Mammie - maybe he is trying to confuse the poor things before he eats them. You know, to distract them from their ultimate demise as a snack food.

Sometimes I think my husband must secretly be a duck. Because every time he uses the bathroom or does something in the kitchen, the flipping counter is WET.

Oh, and add him to the crumb-leavers list. He also piles things. Not neatly stacked, but willy nilly so at every moment we are in danger of collapse - which the kitten takes as an invitation ,and makes the mountain of stuff topple over. Lawd help that man if I find dirty dishes piled in with the other stuff in the heap!

Dances.

• Sally Brownlee
    13 years ago

Sorry, I couldn't contain myself to one...this is like KT therapy!
    My guy occasionally really tries...like doing the dishes.
    He will wash whatever is by the sink, but only what he wants to (usually about half)and no matter how many times I gently remind him, he never uses soap.
    Also he will remind me his sock drawer is almost empty. Here I will admit I am not the quickest at putting away clean clothes....but they are clean and folded, sitting in the basket 2 feet away from the dresser.
    He once asked me why I clean the shower - "its gets rinsed everyday" (????)
    Absolutely clueless about how things get done around the house...
    last two: wet towels left on the chairs and driving his truck over the edge of my flowerbed!

• jannie
    13 years ago

My husband likes to watch TV in bed till late at night. He'll be snoring and I get up and shut off the TV. He instantly bolts awake and says "I was watching that!" He's always doing little things for me, buying my favorite candy,etc., so I'll let him stay!

• country_bumpkin_al
    13 years ago

Like a couple of the others, I'd give anything to have those annoying things back in my life...but I do remember how annoying they were!

My husband did turn his shirts right-side out....and they still came out of the wash wrong-side out! I've turned them my own right-side out..and they come out backwards! It's some kind of conspiracy!!