SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tamar_422

Stepmom being unreasonable?

tamar_422
17 years ago

I would like a sanity check on how I am dealing with my 17 yo stepson who is a junior in high school.

A little background: DH and I have been married 6 years and live in the midwest. We have a 4 yo son, I have 2 girls from previous marriage (14 and 10) and DH has 2 boys (20 and 17). The 3 younger children live with us, my daughters adore my DH, and he treats them as if they were his. The boys lived with their BM until summer of '05, when she remarried and moved to DC. She pretty much allowed the boys free reign. They had no curfew, partied with their friends while she was at home, smoking marijuana and underage drinking. I was at her house one time and the stench of pot in her basement was unmistakeable. I said, "Oh my gosh, they are smoking pot in your house!" Her reponse? "I know, but what am I supposed to do?" The 20 yo was arrested 3x in high school for marijuana possession. No punishmnet, no consequences. Son #2 did get in trouble in 7th grade for (what else) having marijuana in his locker. He was suspended from school for 2 weeks, and wanted to stay with me (not BM) during this time. So we apparently did have a good relationship at one time.

When they came to live with us, they thought the same rules would apply. We had random people coming and going at all hours all summer. DH commutes to his job in NYC, so he is only home on the weekends. I got to deal with the older son during the week. When I told him that illegal behavior wasn't going to happen in our home, he said to me, "What are you going to do? Kick me out of my dad's house?" DH finally put his foot down and told son no pot, no friends coming over to engage in underage drinking. Things were then fine, older son left for college, and I thought everything was good.

Fast forward to summer of '06. Son #2 (16 at the time) gets arrested for DUI (BAC almost 2x legal limit). DH is in NYC, so I get to make the trip to police station to pick him up. I call BM to let her know what's going on. She says, "That's it. I'm unhappy here. Son NEEDS me, I'm moving back." She moves back to a small apartment nearby. Her new husband is totally supportive (And why not? DH is still paying her post-remarriage step-down maintenance, which more than covers her rent.) Son is grounded all summer; the minute he is ungrounded, he comes home drunk! First he denies he is drunk, but it is so obvious, that finally he admits and says, "It's not my fault. My friends were drinking. What was I supposed to do?" He gets grounded for additional 3 weeks.

His 17th birthday falls around this time (October) and since there is no municipal curfew for kids 17 and over, he is insists to me that he shouldn't have a curfew. I told him that as long as he was in high school and lived in this house, his curfew would be midnight. I don't mean to sound harsh, but DH and I agreed on this. Anyway, that night, he doesn't come home, doesn't call, doesn't answer his cell phone (which we pay for so that we can get a hold of him). I called his BM to see if maybe he was at her apt. She tells me, "Don't worry about it. Just go back to sleep." Amazing. He did this 2 nights in a row, texting DH an ultimatum: Me or Her. He finally called, to see if dad had made his choice. DH thought he was drunk and told him he was being ridiculous. During this whole time, he did let BM know where he was. So, the next day we all have a sit-down (me, DH, BM, BM's husband, who happened to be in from DC that weekend, and son). Son says, "I don't like stepmom, I don't like it here, I don't want to live here, I want to live with mom." DH asks what exactly he doesn't like. Apparently, son doesn't like my "stupid rule" that he has to let me know whether he will be home for dinner. And he's "practically an adult and doesn't need a curfew." Keep in mind, he doesn't come from after school, doesn't let me know where he is, other than "hanging out with friends," and never let's me know whether he will be home for dinner. DH told him it's not stepmom's stupid rule, it's a house rule and just common courtesy. BM starts crying hysterically because of how mean I am to her son. She tells DH that I wouldn't cash son's birthday check from her mother until he wrote thank you note. I have tried to teach my children that gratitude is a good thing, and I make them write thank you notes (I also make it easy for them by addressing the envelopes.) DH thinks ex-wife is nuts, but says fine, live with your mom. He asks BM whether she will be able to get son to school, since her apartment is not in school district. She says, "Yes, of course I can get son to school," in a very patronizing way. The next day? Son calls DH to see if he can stay at our house that night since BM has to take her husband to the airport in the morning, and can't take son to school. Why can't her husband take limo to airport? Because BM is selfish. I felt sorry for my stepson. After all the mean things he said about me and my home, to have to call and ask if he could stay. Of course, he stayed, and husband actually picked him up from her apartment.

Following all that, stepson was showing up with friends to hang out at our house during the week, as if he had never moved out. Apparently, it was not convenient or desirable for him to be picked up right after school. We had kept the door unlocked (stepson had lost his housekey), but after he moved over to his BM's, I started locking the door. I guess this made him feel unwelcome. Well, I guess he is. He doesn't like me, he doesn't want to be here. If I am the only one home, why is he here? I did not feel comfortable. We had a brief conversation where he offered an apology, and I asked him what exactly he was sorry for. He said, "I don't know," in that brusque, jerky teenage way. I said, "You know, there was a gentler way to tell us that you didn't want to live here anymore." "Yeah, whatever. I already apologized."

His mother would like to be able to return to DC during school breaks, so stepson said to me, "I don't want to LIVE here, I just want to be able to stay here during breaks." I said, "Honey, when your dad is home, you are more than welcome to be here. But if he is in NYC, then frankly, I just don't want the responsibility. I am not your mother." DH is being very supportive, and while the situation does not make him happy, he has said that he knows none of this is my fault, I was the one adult who tried to provide structure, and it is son who is rejecting me, and son needs to take some responsibility for his behavior. However, I do still feel guilty.

Am I being a mean, wicked, evil stepmother? Seriously, am I being unreasonable? Thanks in advance for your help and comments, both negative and positive.

Comments (9)