SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quirk_gw

ideas to handling adult-step conflicts?

quirk
16 years ago

Im looking for ideas.

Background; my parents have been divorced since I was a young teen, all my family (both parents, brothers, grandparents) all still live relatively close to each other, I live 1000 miles away and have for the past 10 years. I visit 2-3 times a year, and generally stay part of the trip with each parent, try to split it up fairly equally. Mom has a long-term (15-16 years) live-in boyfriend; husband in all but the paperwork (IÂm going to be calling him Dude-- Dude My Mom Shacks WithÂjust humor me-- BF is going to be used to refer to my own boyfriend-- ).

Problem; Dude is a bigot; prejudiced against basically anyone who is non-white, non-American, non-christian, non-heterosexual. He is definitely of the opinion that those who date/marry outside of their race are, shall we say, trash. (not as bad as "the gays", you understand, but pretty disgusting nonetheless). I am dating a black man. IÂm not bringing him home with me to meet the family for Christmas, but I think the likelihood of bringing him along my next trip is pretty high. I also think itÂd be a good idea to talk to my mom about it in person, rather than on the phone, which means bringing it up this trip, so IÂm trying to figure out how to approach the situation.

My mom is not prejudiced, but doesnÂt seem to see any harm in the fact that he is. She teases him about it and acts like itÂs some cute personality quirk, like always counting your peas before you eat them or being a rabid Yankees fan or something. Rather than, you know, hating and looking down on the vast majority of the worldÂs population for no particular reason. For the rest of my family, his race will be a non-issue, and I donÂt feel the need to "warn" them in advance.

My vague plan for when I do bring him home is to stay at my dadÂs the whole time and just visit my momÂs, assuming she can promise me we will be treated decently. Whether she achieves this via DudeÂs cooperation or absence would be up to her. If she canÂt make that promise, we can get together at my grandparentÂs or brotherÂs, without him. Whether we stay at her house on future trips would be based on how the first one goes. My intention is to discuss this plan with her *this* trip, in person, so she knows what to expect, and why, when I do bring him with me. I know she will be hurt by my decision to not stay at her house but only with my dad, but I honestly donÂt think I can expect Dude to be respectful or even polite to me or BF, and I certainly donÂt think it would be fair to BF to bring him home just to let my family treat him like crap. Of course I love my mom and I donÂt want to make her feel like IÂm putting her in a position of choosing between me and Dude, and I donÂt want her to feel like IÂm choosing BF over her, but I do want her to understand I have a right for myself and BF to be treated with respect in her house and that I expect her to make that happen. I guess IÂm wondering if thereÂs a right way vs a wrong way to have this conversation, and if so, what the heck is it? Soooo, for all you parents/stepparents of adult children (or adult children with parents and stepparents, I guess), when there are serious, probably non-resolvable conflicts between the kids and the spouses, how have they been dealt with, and can you in hindsight see how they might have been handled better? Or does anyone have an example of how it was handled in a good way? IÂm open to ideas? (including different plans for the "introduction" visit, if thereÂs a better way to do it. But not including dumping BF or living my life according to DudeÂs valuesÂnot going to happen)

Oh, and another possibly complicating factor; no one in my family likes Dude (except for my mother we assume) and my brothers and grandparents have always been considerably more vocal than I have in expressing their dislike; IÂve always sort of practiced the be nice for my motherÂs sake policy. ItÂs possible sheÂs going to see this as just one more family member piling on.

Comments (19)