SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
inlovewiththedad

Young Stepmom to 1yr old Child

inlovewiththedad
10 years ago

I have been dating my boyfriend now for about 6 months. We are both divorced and want to get married again eventually. I am 26 and he is 31yrs old with a beautiful little 1 year old daughter. I have always wanted to have children and look forward to my own family one day. I thought going into this relationship, that it would be easier to accept the situation than I am finding it to be. Like many of you, I struggle with the idea that I won't be my boyfriends top priority. I feel like this is selfish to admit. His little girl is adorable and he's great with her and I WANT him to be an active part in her life, and be a positive role model. I know in my mind how I SHOULD FEEL, but I am finding myself to have more selfish thoughts than I'd imagined. I love being around his child, but I worry that she will not bond the same with me and this will cause strain on our relationship.

He is very good with me and with communicating about how I feel, and what we can do to resolve the situation. He is extremely patient and kind. I love him with everything I have. I am worried that I wont be able to over come these selfish feelings even though I SO BADLY WANT TO.

Am I naive to think that because his child is so young, that it may be a little easier for the transition?

Comments (6)