SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cobraguy

Service to swimming pool

cobraguy
16 years ago

We are going to run new service to a new sub panel for a swimming pool. The old service is, well, quite shoddy and unprofessional and limits most options we want to add. After reading a lot of this forum and making a couple of threads, we are going to utilize an electrician to make sure it's done safely. (even though I think I have it down pat...you never know) One thing we want to do is run the new service to the pool ourselves. Too expensive to hire out manual labor for digging a trench. Local code says we can use PVC conduit 18" deep, or metal conduit 6" deep. Metal it is...we're not idiots! The run is over 100' and that extra foot of depth is a lot of work since it has to be done by hand!

Anyway, the city inspector says the conduit cannot be run any closer than 10' to the pool. I think she's wrong on this. The existing wiring is closer than that...has to be. There is no way to run conduit and miss the pool by 10'...no matter which way you go. Furthermore, my pool was just completed a little over a year ago and the conduit is closer than 10' in one area. (the pool we're working on is my son's) So is she right or are there exceptions? Or is she talking about the sub panel itself and not the conduit/feed? Any ideas? This is in Chandler, Arizona if it matters.

Comments (16)