SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerseystepmom

Spoiled Stepdaughter who lies, steals and manipulates

jerseystepmom
17 years ago

My husband's daughter moved 2 hours away from him her senior year of high school -- her mother's idea to get her away from us, no doubt. (Mom left behind her 13 year old son....) She didn't talk to us for a while, until she went away to college. During that year, she realized that her mother is manipulative, lies and has created a "reverse parenting" situation where the burden has been placed on the daughter to care for her mother who has personality disorders (my diagnosis, but trust me on this). She reached out to us during that year and we responded by inviting her to holiday celebrations, going to her side when she had an ovary removed (mom didn't fly to be with her, but her father did). We then invited her to live with us during her summer break. She did and it went fine for a few weeks....then she started taking my things without my permission -- going through drawers, jewelry box, closets, etc. She would hide the things and lie about having them until we caught her red-handed. This happened time and again and we tried to discipline her but she ran back to the free-for-all that is at her mother's house (her mother lied to us to cover for her -- as a friend would do -- not a parent). Anyway, by the time she went back to school I was very angry and let her know this -- as did her father. She has now again decided to ignore our emails and have no communication with us (except when she let us know her schedule for Christmas so that we could pay for her ticket home). So....long way to go to say -- can I tell my husband that I do not want her with us for Christmas, and that she should stay with her mother? There is also a problem with money for school -- she doesn't contribute at all, when she worked, she blew all of her money and expects her parents to pay for her $45,000 per year education at a prestigious private university (where I know she consumes massive amounts of alcohol and has a great time). Her father is trying to force her to take some responsibility for her education, but her mother won't allow it...she even bad mouthed him to the school and the school essentially called him a "deadbeat" dad....despite the fact that they have already paid for a full two years, that we took her in after a couple of years of ignoring us, etc. etc.

Ok, this is probably getting confusing and way too long, but I am at my wits end.....I love the holidays and made it very special for them last year when we had the kids (I made Christas Eve our Christmas -- complete with a turkey dinner before they left for their mother's house). I want a special Christmas this year, but I cannot fathom one with that spoiled, lying manipulative brat here!

My stepson lives with us full time and is a very good boy -- he is like his father -- very stable, thoughtful, considers his actions and consequences and does not buy into the crap from his mother.....my poor husband says he is grateful for having his son or he would feel like a total failure as a parent......

Comments (6)