SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soon2b_stepmom

Rules of Exchange

soon2b.stepmom
16 years ago

Well I have a sort of stupid situation that I am completely clueless about and looking for some feedback. To give some background info:I am 25 and engaged to my boyfriend who is 26. He has a 2 year old daughter from another woman he dated for about 4 years. When I started dating him he was having supervised visits at her home. I could tell he was not happy with the situation and I was not happy with him being out there with the mother all the time. So i encouraged him to go to court for joint custody...months later and lots of money spent, he got joint custody of his daughter(YAY). I have been supportive from the very beginning, and even encouraged him to go forward with everything. At this time it has been about 2 months since we started visitations. The first three months we take her every other weekend for the day and after that we get her for overnights. My fiance has been very receptive towards my feelings about everything and we have been working though the ups and downs.

Quick background on the BM: 30 years old, on her third marriage, borderline personality disorder, very manipulative,parties all the time, not very responsible and extremely hard to deal with in this situation.

I have two questions:

First is, based on the fact that my soon to be step daughter is pretty young, does anyone have any recommendations that i should implement now in the relationship while she is still very young?

Second: When we do the exchange to pick up the child I (being the soon to be SM) have stayed out of it to be respectful, but now the BM has her new husband at the exchange and he is being very disrespectful of the situation with my fiance. What is the stance on the exchange thing? Should I go with my fiance in order to show that I am there and present and part of the situation or will it make things worse?

I would appreciate any feedback! Thanks.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH