SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer25_gw

Overload

Jennifer25
21 years ago

My boyfriend and I have been together for two years. He has two children, a girl that turns 4 tomorrow and a boy who turns 6 on Thanksgiving. I love the kids.....I have a great relationship with them.....but the problem is that I do more for them than their own parents do. Their Mother does her fair share.....though not at the same level that I do...what does a bio-Mom actually have to do anyway...the mere fact she is Mom is enough for the kids to think the world of her. Every day I take care of the kids. I'm not working.... I went back to school to get my Masters in Education...I take one class per week (next semester 4)....and never have time for homework! I take them to school, pick them up and stay with them alone until their parents come home. I'm like the nanny, but I never leave because I live there and I am with their Father. I'm tired, frustrated and sick of cleaning up after them. I agreed to do this, but it's getting to be too much. I feel like I am caring for someone else's children...I feel like I am just the help....and in exchange I get free room and board and a car. I love my boyfriend... I want to be with him....but I cannot keep doing all of this. I flipped out on the 5 yr old this morning... I told him to put Aquafor on his lips and nose because it was chapped from Soccer..... What does the little brat do? He goes into the bathroom, slobbers it all over his face and wipes his hands on his shirt and has the audacity to call me in there to show me like it was some big joke. I yelled at the top of my lungs, called him a slob and told him he can wear the damn shirt like that all day... You see, that was not such a bad thing....he's a 6 yr old kid...and they do that.... BUT I CANNOT TAKE IT ANYMORE. I spend all my days cleaning up after them.....running this house, scheduling our lives, planning their bday parties, setting up playdates etc etc.... I am so busy... and do you know what I do in my down time? No, not my homework... I LOOK FOR THEIR XMAS PRESENTS! I am having a nervous breakdown...I feel like I do too much, more than their own parents...triple what they do...and at the end of the day they still say they want their mother-who is a dead beat for all I care..... Yes she is there......but she barely is....but she's the greatest thing in the world-meanwhile I'm working my ass off, tired and unprepared for class. What am I going to do? It's changing my relationship with the kids... I hate having them around and I never felt that way before-just in the beginning.... and their Dad and I are at odds with each other... Everything is just one big mess. I told them that I would not do this come Jan...and I still stand by that.... In Jan we will have them in an after school program or we will hire a nanny.... In the meantime, how am I going to survive this? My boyfriend says he will help....and he does...but sometimes his timing is off. He knows I need some space in the early/late mornings that they are here on the weekends. I've told him that if he takes them somewhere for 2 hours by 10-11am....that by the time they get back I will be a changed woman.... but he came back from Soccer with the boy and lingered around the house too long... I had reached my limit after the 2 yr old spilled grape juice all over the couch.....followed by 5 yr old's greasey shirt... They are trivial things that kids often do, but when you combine it with the pressures of a paper due on Monday, with a household you run, clothes to wash, children to bathe, schedules to plan, bdays to organize, playdates to arrange and accept in your home, medicines to take, and on top of it making yourself and your house look good...it only takes a greasey shirt to put you past the limit. Why is it so hard for my boyfriend to understand this. And to top it all off, I'm 25 yrs old.... a kid..... I entered into this relationship and knew what I was up for..... I love him... I accept that he comes with this....but sometimes he just needs to take a look at all I do....and how my age impacts my ability to accept what I do......and how my age affects the ability to deal with the overload.... and how the fact that they are not my kids, affects how I deal with the overload. It is Soooooooooooooooo hard to sacrifice your life for someone else's obligations.... It is a big step...and I just feel that when the person in this step-mother role says, I need a break, I'm going to have a nernous breakdown...that means the man gets the kids and clears out.... doesn't matter where you have to go....just get out. He believes he has stress...he pays the bills, works hard, has mouths to feed and keep happy.... He does one thing, and that is WORK. I do it all. I'm not saying he doesn't do anything.....or that work isn't important or has stresses...but nothing compares to being a Step-Mother...it's a 24 hr a day, round the clock job....and it takes everything you've got.....It's just not the same... He doesn't have to sacrifice when he goes to work. I just wish he would see that I am doing MORE.....things that are harder......for me to do. Truth be told, he could not last a day doing what I do.... As a matter of fact, when he takes a day off to care for the kids and relieve me, he has to call me from the car, because he is not sure about pick-ups and drop-offs.... has to ask me where things are, or what the kids should wear to school. Left alone with them for one whole day, he would surely shoot himself. So why doesn't he respect what I am doing for him and get the hell out when I am at my limit? I just wish he would get it....just once. He has to be so damn protective of his kids.....and fight for them because someone is saying they don't want them around. Kids are work.....HARD WORK..... after 40 hours in one week, come Sat, do you have anything in you to keep working? I'm not Superwoman....

Someone please share with me your words of wisdom...someone must have gone through this before. Please share some words that I can show to my boyfriend and that I can read for solace.... This is a bad bad day in this house.....something needs to happen to make it better.

Thanks

Comments (13)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus