SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Antique Shop a Great Find??? Opinions (Quickly) Please

lynninnewmexico
10 years ago

DH has been after me for weeks now to find him a "standing desk" for his personal office at his clinic. He has a perfectly nice, good looking regular desk in there already but has a notion that he needs a standing desk in there as well. To do a quick bit of work at (charting, etc) in between patients, he tells me.

And, he's dumbfounded that I haven't been able to find a single one! Heck, I've never run across a standing desk in the 30+ years that I've been shopping for furniture and antiques! The closest I have found are drafting tables (too big, unstylish, generic); podiiums (too small of a work surface to spread out a bit ; or tall sofa tables (they look like a sofa table and/or are too long , too low).

Last Friday I spent the entire day searching through the many, many antique and secondhand furniture places in this area. I inhaled a LOT of dust, met some nice folks but found nothing he liked (I took pics and measurements of all possibilities).

But today on a fluke, I stopped in at a small mom & pop place and found this piece! I don't think they have any idea that it might be valuable, but I do. They have it listed as an " Oak/hickory cabinet". The tag price is $279.99 but the owner said she'd sell it to me for $225. It's gorgeous, in very good shape inside and out. It's sturdy and I love the graining and trim work. It has no weird smells to it. It's size seems to be perfect for DH's needs: 42" tall x 30" wide x 18" deep. Th top is flat and smooth. Door hardware looks original and works well. No warping or splitting of the wood. The metal tag on the inside of the door says, "Inglesants Leicester".

Now that I'm home, I can't read more of the tag because of blurring. But, it was enough for me to google and find out that this company, Inglesant & Sons was started in Leicester, England, in 1837 and was bought out and the tag changed to the new name in1955.

To me, it looks to be from the Twenties or Thirties. I'm thinking that the inside shelves would work for holding a few of his medical reference books, pens, notepads, (his lunch I pack him every day~LOL!), etc.

So what do you think? Is it worth $225? I'm adding the pics I took of it today. The owner is holding it for me until tomorrow afternoon, so I need opinions quickly.

I'm sorry that they're a bit blurry. I took them with my cellphone and didn't check them again until I got home here. But, the color of the wood is darker, richer and more even than these pics show for some reason.
Many thanks!
Lynn
{{gwi:1797228}}

Detailing of front :
{{gwi:1797229}}
{{gwi:1797230}}
{{gwi:1797231}}

This post was edited by lynninnewmexico on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 21:30

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living