SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swampwiz_gw

What is the proper way to set up and use a generator?

swampwiz
14 years ago

I would like to have a backup generator for when the power is out after a hurricane. As I understand it, the method a generator is generally used is to simply turn the generator on and plug into an outlet, which will then feed the home (although it would seem that it would not be able to exceed the current rating for that circuit). But this method seems to have adverse effects such as producing a line load to the utility, among others. Is this accurate? What are all the implications using this method?

However, there seems to be a better method, in which there would be a dedicated line (perhaps at a higher current rating?) that would go directly into the panel (perhaps connected differently there?). This method would not have the adverse effects as the preceding method. How exactly is this method implemented?

The main design load for the generator is to keep the 3.5 ton A/C running (~ 3 kW), as well as enough for the lights, TV or computer, and a tank hot water heater. (I can leave my powerful audio system off until the power would come back on.)

And of course, I would welcome any comments about using a generator in general.

Comments (5)