SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olympia_gardener

neutral wire is hot, How to track down the problem area?

olympia_gardener
11 years ago

We bought a house years ago and now we try to put a ceiling light to the basement ceiling. There is a existing box on the basement ceiling ( i assume was put there by previouse owner). So theoratically, all we need to do is tight black wire to black wire , white wire to white wire together then the wiring job is done.

when we un-tight the wirenut in the box, to our surprise, one of the white wire is hot ( there are 4 white wire tighted together) even with the circuit break is off. I suspect this hot white wire has been mixed/switch into hot wires somewhere in the circuit , other circuit, floating, etc. possibilities. Would anyone recommend a best way to track down the location so I can fix this problem since the basement is finished , hard to look between/behind the walls.

Also, the cable looks like NM 14-3 , red , black, and white came into/out the box via conduit. Although, to my knowledge, there should be a 4th bare wire, but I did not see it anywhere, Could anyone here confirm if Romex NM only has red/black/white 3 wires in the cable? If this is the case, which color wire should serve as ground?

Comments (19)