SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
architectsdaughter65

Existing 1970 wiring; metal conduit and two circuits sharing neutral

Took a wall out in our kitchen, uncovering a web of electric wires and boxes, both original and from a 2002 remodel. It has been fun and satisfying, as much as overwhelming to me, to learn and figure some of it out and I performed extensive mapping and weeded out all unnecessary boxes and wires. The remodel is all Romex. Original all runs in metal conduit, many containing two hots from two different circuits and one neutral with the conduit as ground. These scenarios do not have Duel Pole Breakers, but these circuits are placed one on top of the other in the panel. Some are both 15 amp, some are both 20 amp. All have proper gauge wire. Our house was built very solid, 45 years ago, and our contractor expressed a high opinion of the quality of the original electric work as well. It's a complicated wiring plan, further complicated by the union of a new phase with the two previous phases of electric work. The electrician who came yesterday walked, citing "too much" and "concerns," but I've received no specific details. It's possible, and supported by my impression of him, he had other reasons he left that could have had nothing to do with safety concerns. I've read conflicting opinions about the safety of these "two circuits sharing a neutral." Anyone have helpful information to share? We live in Minnesota.

Comments (8)