SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swampwiz_gw

What is the extra cost of 924' of 20A wire?

swampwiz
14 years ago

Here is my situation. I have a preferred location and a not preferred but alternate location for the electrical panel box. The alternate location is closer to more of the applications. The difference between the locations is an easy 66' or a more complicated 57'; the easy path is simply lying the wire on the floor behind a wall; the complicated path required going up a rafter and then along the roof peak (which would require the electrician to get up to 20' high!). The net number of applications that would be closer to the alternate location is 14 (i.e., there are a few more applications close to the alternate location, but this would be balanced out by a few applications that are close to the preferred location), so I figure that difference in the wiring is this number times the easy length.

So the determination about where to put the box is going to be based on how much more it would cost me to have the panel at the preferred location instead of the alternate location. I figure that this cost is going to basically be the extra cost of the wire, with the extra labor to walk a set of 14 wires as negligible.

On a side note, is there any problem with long wires? At the preferred location, there is one application that is going to be about 120' away!

Comment (1)