SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arlingtonvaremodel

Decorating around a baby grand piano in a small living room

ArlingtonVAremodel
10 years ago

We are very fortunate to be receiving a baby grand piano that has been in DH's family since the 1950's. Technically it is an "apartment grand," which is just a smidge smaller than a baby. It's a Steinway, mid-tone wood, will need to be tuned but is in excellent condition on the outside. I am very excited to put it in my living room. It should arrive in a couple of weeks.

Our living room is small, and we're pretty confident in the layout (because there aren't too many options!). The piano will go in a corner (seat in corner with opening facing out into the room); on one side of the corner is the staircase to the second floor, and on the other there will be a wall of family photos -- probably black and whites in sepia tone to go with the piano.

I'm curious, however, about whether to put anything (framed photos? books?) on top of any part of the piano, at least when it's closed, and I'm leaning toward doing a tufted round ottoman tucked under the curved side. I've done some poking around on the Web for visuals of baby grand pianos and have seen some good stuff, especially on Houzz. However, most of those rooms are a bit larger and fancier than ours.

Does anyone here have a baby grand and, if so, would you mind telling me how you've decorated on/around it and, if possible, post a photo? Many thanks!

Comments (24)