SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Answers to the Dating Game--In Color LR

palimpsest
14 years ago

I think everybody who is going to play has played, so here are the color pictures, and the dates.

{{!gwi}}

All the furnishings were purchased between 1966-69 and installed in 1969. The girandole is 19th c., the lamps are Russian vases, but the furniture is all reproduction: Virginia Metalcrafters or Williamsburg; Baker; Henredon.

{{!gwi}}

The carpet was replaced in 1987 and the Sheraton sofa (originally crewel) and tufted sofa (originally green velvet) were reupholstered then. The chinoiserie regency chairs and tub chair are in original upholstery. The flamestitch is still made, just not "in" right now, and probably not in that colorway.

{{!gwi}}

So, 1968 is probably closest, and yep, its my parents' house. I have been replacing a few things that are really worn out and have started looking at it through a designer's eyes rather than as someone who grew up there.

My mother lived in VA during the continued development of Colonial Williamsburg and her style was informed by that midcentury type of colonial revival. The house was detailed in an "old fashioned" way in terms of millwork and such compared to what most builders were doing in our area at the time.

The boxes and paperweights and such were collected over 30 years, things have been accumulated--but never changed. There is a lot of brass and such in storage...it became too hard to keep polished.

Comments (10)