SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

Need Quick Answer / Opinion on Wood Blinds

andrelaplume2
13 years ago

We have a colonial with a kitchen that opens to our family room. Its a fairly nice big space. In the kitchen is a 32 X 40 (or so) window over our sink....it sits maybe 10 inches above the sink. The dishwasher ia to the right of the sink. The cooktop is to the left but on a perpendicular wall away from the window. There is another window to the right of the one just described but about 8 feet away. Its 36 x 64.

Currently there are vinyl mini blinds in the windows---the 1/2" slat type. I like them. My wife thinks they look dated and wants 2" blinds oak in color like that match our hw floor and kitchen table and chairs. I have no problem with that other than we agreed we could not afford custom blinds.

That leaves off the shelf at Lowes or HD. Each offer real wood or faux wood blinds. We tried the 2" slats, faux wood from HD. These are nice but I was not thrilled with the up down mechanism. The 2" also looked a little big. On the plus side ther really do look like wood. The grain is sort of somehow printed on the slats.

We also tried a faux wood from Lowes made by: Blindz. These are 1.5" slats, the corners are rounded, the color is more to my wife's liking and they are cheaper and seam to go up and down easier. The trouble is I noticed in the daylight this morning that the wood grain looks really fake. Its sort of 3 deminsionaly etched into the slat. You can feel it if you run your finger over it. The slat is all one solid color but just has this graning etched in it. The HD ones had varying colors of grain imprinted and look real. To me these look cheap. It does not bother my wife but I think they look cheap.

I stopped back in Lowes this morning and saw they sell a real wood 1.5" slat blind. The color is a little different and the slats do not have rounded corners but, to me they do not look cheap. I am willing to buy one, take it home, hang it and see what my wife thinks. They are a bit more expensive.

It was initially reccoemnded though that we use faux wood because real wood could warp. The lady at lowes said she did not think that would be an issue after describing our kitchen. Steam from the dishwasher and cook top is in the area but not right under the window. She DID think keeping the wood clean would be more difficult than with vinyl which you can put in a tub. We seldom have had to clean the white blinds currently there though.

So whats the scoop, real wood or faux...thoughts....does anyone else think those *GOOD* level faux wood blinds at look cheap or is it me...what do you use in your kitchen...?

Should I try the wood ones from Lowes. Any other considerations?

Comments (13)