SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vivian_7

Driven to distraction

Vivian Kaufman
17 years ago

That's me at this point with my stepdaughter and her mother and stepdad.

She is 15, has her temporary permit to drive (does not get her license until next April), is a really GOOD kid and I love her like she were my own. The situation is this:

Originally, DH and I were asked to pay for part of her car insurance. Our first question of course was "shouldn't SHE be paying for that? Or at least a portion of that?" Well, they apparently don't think so. We were pretty much crucified behind our backs at their house. The girl told us as much. I don't care what they say about me personally, but I HATE for the kids to hear their mother and stepdad badmouth their father. I HATE it.

Anyway, we just think that the girl needs to have a part time job to contribute a portion of the expense for driving. Something. Anything. Mom and stepdad have bought a new car geared specifically for her (stepdad is currently driving it) and they intend to give it to the girl to drive once she has her license. They intend to pay her insurance. They intend to give her a debit card for gasoline. The last time she was at our house, she called stepdad's car "her" car. I said "no, one must pay for things before you can claim them." Since she hasn't paid a dime towards the purchase, insurance, or maintenance, it isn't hers. Just like she doesn't own our home. You can only claim things you earn, and since she hasn't done a danged thing to earn that car, it isn't hers. She may drive it, but it certainly doesn't belong to her.

So we have heard nothing more about paying for car insurance (good thing since I wasn't budging on that one). I just don't want these kids to grow up with a sense of entitlement like that. I find it strange that their mother wants this too, actually. She's really not a complete idiot and despite how much distaste I have for her, she has managed to raise pretty darn good kids in spite of herself.

I DO suspect, however, that there is a major "keeping up with the Joneses" component to all of this since they have some very good friends who have pretty big $$$ and have done these things for their kids. We just can't afford their lifestyle, and I don't see that as a bad thing. I don't WANT to afford their lifestyle. We do our share in terms of child support, medical bills, after school activities, etc. But there are things that I just feel that the kids need to be responsible for. Driving a car isn't something that is a necessity as far as I can see. I think that you need to contribute and earn that.

It's the divorced kid conundrum, I suppose. If one family won't give it to you, you just ask the other. Grrrr. I really detest that they have that option.

Comments (5)