SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ceph_gw

How to minimize baggage?

ceph
12 years ago

I don't have time for all the details of our backstory right now, but SS has brought a lot of emotional baggage surrounding certain topics.

He forgot to feed the cats today. I reminded him that they are living things, totally reliant on us to provide them with food and water, and we have a responsibility to care for them. He totally shut down, deflected, got all frantic, tried to run off, blamed everyone in sight, etc etc, until I got mad and yelled at him. Then he cried that he "might as well live at his mom's if he's going to get in trouble for the same things anyhow."

His mom was going to drop off his med refills, so I told her about this via text message. She said that was a constant battle at their house, she was always fighting with him about the cat, and that he didn't get his allowance if he didn't feed the cat, etc.

A gentle reminder about the cats TOTALLY spiraled out of control. Looking back at it, I see that he was going to "the place" he's in when there's conflict at his mom's house, because it was a topic he's been fighting with them about for years. It was awful and I'd like to try to avoid it again.

So, given that we don't even know what all the hot buttons are for conflicts at his mom's house, how do we go about helping to minimize the emotional baggage he has surrounding conflicts on certain topics?

He's generally very open to communication (and has said on numerous occasions that it's actually helpful to him), but we see that there are topics that cause him to totally shut down and lose the ability to communicate rationally.

What should we do? How can we help? I'm not quite sure how to navigate this. We're not tippytoeing or avoidant people, but we do like to be gentle and accommodating when we know there is a need.

If it matters, he's accepted my apology for losing my temper and yelling at him, but has yet to apologize for his role in things and his behavior. (Acknowledging your mistakes and taking responsibility is a big theme in our house.)

TIA!

Comments (6)