SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justnotmartha

just venting - and confessing bad behavior

justnotmartha
15 years ago

So this weekend was SD's last performance of the season. Big deal, new routine, costume, whole sha-bang. On Friday I questioned SD to confirm her outfir came back from mom's last weekend. Oops - no. I put this first on SD's shoulders as she is 13 and should be able to remember these things . . . but I also put it on mom's as you would think she would confirm SD has it when she comes back home knowing she will need it.

SD isn't worried as she was told mom would be coming to watch on her lunch break and SF would actually be coming as well (first time all year) so one could bring the uniform. I made her call and confirm, and mom got upset with her for forgetting, as she had a right to. Of course she took no ownership herself. After waiting for a call back for hours, it was 30 minutes before we had to be there and mom calls to say she needs to 'go eat' and SF is 'too tired' so neither would come to see her big permormance OR drive the costume over. She begings to cry and tells mom "You know this is the BIG performance and I can't participate with out it?" Her answer? "Hmm. Nothing I can do for you."

So what does one do? Make SD sit out to 'teach her a lesson' . . . both on responsibility and on what a b!tch her mom is? Or somehow make a 40 minute trip in 25 minutes? Of course DH was out at this point as well, traveling back from another state.

What did I do? Something I've wanted to do for 10 years. I called mom and let her know just what I thought of the situation. I asked if her husband would be "too tired to put the outfit on the porch?" When she told me 'not to get that way and take my frustration out on her' I told her she was the source of my frustration. That somehow EOW we made sure all of SD's things made it there. That every time something was forgotten at mom's house WE were the ones having to make up for her shortcomings because it wasn't 'convenient' for her, she was too tired, etc to fix her own problems. For God's sake - DH has been on the road for 5 hours and could still muster up the energy to speed to get his daughter's uniform so she could participate because he put her needs first.

I think it was right about this point in my calmly said tirade she hung up on me. :-)

So was I way out of line? It has been this way for 10 YEARS. If it's not convenient for her it doesn't happen. Is it because she knows we will come through and do all we can to make sure SD's (reasonable) need is met? By saying "Nothing I can do" was that just her way of saying Dad or JNM are going to have to do it, even though you have to be there in 30 minutes and JNM is the coach so she can't be late, because we don't feel like doing it?? Should we just stop coming through for SD and 'teach a lesson' to mom - hurting SD in the process?

It just really burned me this time. It's happened 100 mtimes before and will happen another 100 I know, but it burns me. I have to admit, there is a small part of me that was even angry at SD for loving this woman when she is such a selfish witch, but I have to move past that. It's her mom - I guess i should feel sorry for her rather than be angry.

Comments (15)