SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sd42

Step daughter issue

sd42
17 years ago

Hi Everyone,

A year ago I married a very wonderful woman with three daughters, two of whom are grown (24 and 19), with one minor that lives with us.

The 19 yr old attended college 3 hours from us, and to make a long story short, she had her mom co-sign a lease for an appt. It was supposed to be with 3 other students, but two bailed out, so they put her and her bf in one appt.

Well, they broke up, they both moved out and of course the appartment complex wants my wife to pay the amount. But they want her to pay for both my stepdaughter and her ex bf's rent! And they are threatning collections if not paid by the end of the month. They were only in the appt. for about a month before they bailed out.

If they go after my wife financially, can they also seek a judgment against me? I am her husband but she signed she co-signed it without my knowledge, although we're past that point now and things are ok with us. How about joint bank accounts? A home that we recently financed and purchased? My vehicle, her vehicle? What's the law typically on this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH