SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calamity_j

New Craft Room!

Calamity_J
16 years ago

IT"S OFFICIAL!!! DH, after being hen pecked for days, has finally relented, putting me and him out of our misery(I'm just miserable when I have to be so manipulative!) I get to implement Klinger's idea for my ultimate craft room by demolishing a wall thus making a 11x21 room!!! I'm going to demolish the wall myself and tear up carpet and tile, to save money, and cuz it sounds so fun! I AM QUEEN OF MY DOMAIN!!!! Cindy/Klinger and I hung out today and traveled down Island, thrift storing all the way, scored some cool stuff and bought $75 worth of stained glass I couldn't live with out!!! ha! BAD JANE!!! I'm coming out of a 4month funk and am so gratefull that I have had all you gals here to hang with!!! Especially Cindy!!! Even tho my foot is not totally back to normal, I'm going to physio, so hope to get it back to being more flexible. Now if DH says we may be moving, he'll have to use dynomite!!! With a craft room like the one I'm gonna build, he will be moving without me!ha!So thats what I'm doing this week....

Comments (71)

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That glass cubby is just an old handcrafted filer I bought for $12 at the ts! And a wooden shelf, both set on their side to be my glass storage! I just noticed that one of the boxes I put some glass in says "Get Cracking!" HA!
    The room I showed with my dog Sid, is what is worrying me, the floor guys will charge an arm and a leg to rip that tile up, They suggested that I do it myself, renting a jackhammer, but I'm almost thinking of just leaving it and putting the industrial lino up to it. The floor lino is like what is used in stores and such. Plus the other room has glued down carpet. Suggestions please!!! There is also a ramp built instead of a step(helped when I broke my leg!!!) which I gotta rip out. Also a closet that was lovingly built into the room will be torn down. Did I mention that my kitchen has a faux window cuz of this bedroom closet? So in reality, I could open it up again for natural light(Just have a shelf to put plants,etc on)??. I wanna put in a big 8ftwx4fth window and a 4fthx3ftw window also. Here is a pic of my kitchen and the mirror I put in the faux window she had there..

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

CJ: My studio was originally designed to have cement floors (so that if I made a mess it would still be OK). BUT the construction guys made a mess of the floor and it ended up being tiled. And because I am MESSY when I work, I wanted to protect the tile and the grout so we purchased a vinyl covering that is sometimes used on garage floors. It has been a godsend in keeping the tiled floor clean (especially from spashed black grout!) Instead of expending energy in tearing out the carpet and jackhammering the tile that is there (and thus possibly decreasing the equity in your home) just lay lino on top. I'll post a photo later today of my floor (AND my worktable on wheels!)

• Related Discussions

Pics wanted: Anyone have a combo craft room/laundry room? (x-post

Q

Comments (7)
    I'm not sure I'll be much help, since ours isn't quite finished and fully operational yet. It sounds like what we're doing, but I don't have the washer and dryer for that room yet (our main laundry is upstairs), and we're just putting the craft/sewing area together. I can show you renderings of what it will look like finished. It's such a mess right now. We only have the counters and lower cabinets in place, but we sewed on them for Christmas projects and it seemed to work really well. (each corner serves as a sewing station...one for me with sewing-embroidery machine and serger, and one for the kids' machine) I only seem to have a floorplan already on photobucket and I'm at the wrong computer to add others, so I will have to do that later. In the meanwhile, here's the floorplan of the room. The kitchen is off to the right. The door on the left goes outside onto our side porch.
    ...See More

Craft Room or Craft Area

Q

Comments (14)
    thank you Cathrugg ! My room was exactly the utility room in the house plan & the builders goofed & put it on blocks for the raised concrete foundation we have. DH told them to leave it, I always wanted a room to do crafts in so I got it. It has been a bit of a challenge sometimes with the longer than wider shape of the room but hey, I got a room right! I found inspiration for my craftroom by googling craftroom images & on the BH&G site. Also on these places like AOL decorating, home ideas, Southern living, southern accents, that have some hobby rooms & multi-purpose rooms you can tour. Have fun looking & dreaming up ideas! Bonnie
    ...See More

Anyone in Mass, Maine or New Hampshire need anything

Q

Comments (1)
    Absolutely!!! Actually, you're right here in NH, too, aren't you? I'm in Concord most days...would love to see pix of your stash and your asking prices...I'm going to have a new craft room to fill up soon! Thanks for the offer; feel free to email me through GW.
    ...See More

Making a craft room, keeping the treadmill---what kind of furniture???

Q

Comments (38)
    I use a lot of these clear plastic drawers. I cut the stoppers off, so I can pull the whole drawer out to go be creative. Some people decorate & label. I have them under a thin table with table cloth to hide when not in use. Even though I don't usually use plastic, it is useful in the art studio to see thru & water proof which is important for paper storage. I have had many for years. When buying these plastic bins don't expect the wheels to last. They often break within a year. I throw them away & get solid wheel casters at Walmart put on wood then put the plastic storage on top. There a lot of plastic bins out there that are cheaper, buttoo thin to keep firm or crack, so buy the thicker durable ones that'll last for years. Also, A lot of these cute plastic art carts are unfortunately junk, the thin metal warps, comes unlined, wheels break off, knobs pop out... I made the mistake several times, no way again. It upsets me to go into these craft stores and see their outright expensive prices for plain out cheap,junk. I highly suggest buying durable made storage items. There are solutions out there. Get creative and possibly let a creative project be to make a DIY storage system.
    ...See More
  • rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

CJ: I took three photos but they're out of sequence. The first is of the vinyl floor (used in garages). It comes in different sizes. There are also two photos of my workbench w/casters. The bench is 32/33 inches high and is six feet long and 30 inches across. There is a shelf on the bottom to hold "stuff" and to prop my feet as I work! I stapled a tool organizer to the size to hold cutters, pliers, etc. Those white plastic containers once held kitty litter. My grout and mortar is stored there.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• seaglassic
    16 years ago

would it be too expensive to lay a layer of 'self leveling cement' all over the floor?
    that's what was suggested to me, one time when I wanted my family room brought up to a level surface.
    trouble is, with my family room, it used to be a carport and the owners before me, never leveled it at all, so there's about an 8" discrpency in floor surface.and then, there's a two step difference in the two rooms, from kitchen to family room. I hate steps to get around..my knees resent them!

I'm putting in for a low interest loan and the chances of the whole entire room being brought clear up to the height of the rest of the house is seemingly very possible.
    I've been here for 26 and will be 27 in July, so it's been a long standing wish of mine, to have this done.
    I will need extimates from 3 contractors, then get the ok on it.
    If that happens, then the little studio I have now, from one bedroom will quickly shift to the family room.
    I have so many things to get into shelves and cupboards, it would be the most likely place to locate it all to.

and............what happened to the possible move, to the other side of the island?
    I never read about what happened there...

nuther question...are passports required, to enter Canada now, even on the clipper?...kinda curious.

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Dang Rosie! I have work bench envy now!
    I like your flooring material too.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ROSIE: LOVE IT ALL!!!! Was thinkin' maybe just rippin' up the carpet and throwin, that vynle stuff of yours down.
    Sea: Renos are so much work eh?! I'm like a crazy girl, haven't stopped! I'm thinkin' if I get er done before Hubby has a chance to change his mind! The Ucluelet thing didn't happen as it was very exspensive to live there AND the pay was 20grand less, so it didn't make much sense. (Even a house 389grand, 50grand more than our house was a dump!!!)I don't think you need a passport but I'm not sure...But you would be welcome as ever!!!! You'd have to stay at each of our places(Me and Cindy), like Shirley did, so we wouldn't fight over you!!!! heh heh!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I took a pic of my hand this morning!lol! This wall is coming down TODAY!!!( I couldn't resist, I punched a hole right near the doorway!ha!)

• shrty411
    16 years ago

No passports required yet.( and it's only to get back to the US.( Just read an article here that REALLY birth certs and Drivers licence aren't either, but I wouldn't chance it

since we're right across the river from Windsor, ONT a lot of us go back and forth here in the Detroit area

Nice hand, Jane LOL

Maria

• bianchi2
    16 years ago

Jane, you are funny!!
    Bianchi

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

Yippieeee Janie,

I do not know how I missed this thread earlier. It is good to be able to see the progression all at once. And you HAND!! What a riot I sputtered on my coffee when I saw that.

No advice from me. I think you are doing a grand job. I am going to just say this then DUCK and run. Remember your bathroom counter and light valance. Why not do it again on your floor??? :^)))

Chris

• Bright199
    16 years ago

Jane, You are having way tooo much fun!!! How awsome for you.

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

Janey-Bo: You are WHACKED! Is it down YET?

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That hand pic is dedicated to WENCH! (It just made me think of her and her sense of humor!)I ran outta time today as I had company over, a gal who just moved here and has no plants!!! YIPPEE! A person really can have too many spider plants!lol!
    Shades: Thank You for remembering my bathroom! I'm touched! Wish I had some pics of that project!
    Here is what it looks like now. I just taped the doorway to the rest of the house over with some duct tape and an old shower curtain. Tomorrow my Chihuahua goes for eye surgery(3rd eyelid?)but after I drop him off, I'll be getting to THE WALL!!! Better haul out my Pink Floyd Album!!!lol! Thought you'd like to see the lovely carpet that is glued down and the wall after I let DD have at er!!

My Pics

Â
    Free Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

• fiddlekate
    16 years ago

It's fun to watch your enthusiastic progress, Janie! You're going to have a super craft room!!!
    Katie

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Wow, you are moving along!! This is fun (living through you!)

Maria

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    16 years ago

YIPPEEE!!! The wall is down!!! Slow isn't the only one who knows a handy man!lol! My Buddy Stan was hired to do this and it was done with less mess and effort than I'd a done! Plus moved electrical! I don't know if these pics do the size justice, but just to Brag again, I'm talkin' 11x21!!!! Even Stan is Jealous!!!!

My Pics

Â

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

WOW that is a huge room. Boy i wish.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just went out and got a killer sharp razor scraping blade to get that ugly carpet off the floor. Sidestepped over to the paint store and picked out a nice vibrant green paint..called: Envy! Zoweee! Stan is gonna prep the walls for me to paint, (with a roller!not like my other room(8x10), that I painted with a 4inch brush, two coats!) Stan has a hammer/drill thing to get the tiles up. The wall was just put up to make a bedroom so it wasn't supporting anything but the drywall!!! I felt like I had done so much work already but sheesh, this floor and painting are gonna be HUGE too!!! My dog is recouperating from his cherry eye surgery, poor lil guy! I'm gonna leave the windows as is...maybe...for now....maybe...

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

OH Nice room Jane!! Nice hubby too. Andhow wonderful to have your kitchen window back. Can't wait to see the green paint. I am a green paint person.

Chris

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Now let me see. I think it's been less than a year since you finished your OTHER craft room. Girlie, you must have a huge house. Boy, you sure know how to play your DH to get him to agree to all this remodeling!

• klinger
    16 years ago

Jane. It's looking huge now with that wall down. How wonderful Stan was available and this is all happening so quickly. Your paint sounds very bright is it BM?I think you could get another window from the restore and put it in that door that goes to your back yard and that would add a lot more natural light too. Girls you don't know this, but now this new studio has french doors which open onto a large deck. The deck has an arbor with kiwi and grape vines growing on it. Jane can just move out into the deck and do a project out doors if she wants to,how sweet is that?
    Cindy

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    16 years ago

DH vetoed the window to the kitchen, which is fine with me as then I don't have to hear his hockey games as loud! (full volume I swear!Him AND the TV!LOL!) I thinking I'd keep everything the same for now , except maybe look for a new door(the door now is wooden) that matches the french doors. I am thinking of a sitting area where a gal and her pal can hang out, With a book shelf full of great craft/garden books! I have looked back at some past posts and got more ideas, like from Hazie, CraftyMama and Icheer(Your Room is to die for!!!) DD is moved into my old(ha) Art Room, and I think it will give her a brighter outlook on life! She already likes it! Yup that room was 10 mos old, time for a change!ha!

• squirrellycanadian
    16 years ago

OMG!! You lucky duck! That is going to be soooo awesome! I remember that room, I had the honor of sleeping there! With the french doors to the deck you are going to be in heaven! Thanks for letting us see the progress, I love it!!

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

Love the hand photo.

Love the progress.

Can't wait 'til teenage son grows up and moves out so I can claim his room as my own!

Bad mom - VERY bad mom!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

You have a handyman AND a new craft room!!

affectionately jealous
    Maria

• PantherFL
    16 years ago

I'm on a campaign to put a covered/screened deck/gazebo or whatever it would be in the backyard to work in/eat meals/read but I think your idea is the bomb. Mine is going to be a little cold a few days a year, so those will be out, but I want a ceiling fan for summer. I have DH on notice that I need outlets out there for the pottery wheel, grinder, etc. Oh, I'm also planning an above ground fish pond (outside the room) with a mosaic ledge for sitting if I feel the urge. The thing is, I've been wanting this for a while now. It does finally seem to be in view, my sons (2) are committed to helping put it up if I can get the plans & supplies.

You're going to be in heaven having all that room, and if there's a door on it you can shut all the mess away with, even better!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No door as of yet but I plan on the sitting/hangin' out area to be right there so that's what you'll see when you walk by that room! Stan AND DH are helping today! DH is just getting over a flu and is quite grumpy so I think hangin' with Stan will be the "male bonding time" he needs! I know Stan is "The Man" in my books!ha! Stan Stan, He's our man, if he can't do it, No one can!!!

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

I feel just like Maria...

Jane you are the go getter here! Decide it and do it! Love that about you! Can't wait to see more pics.

Pantherfl-your outdoor room plans sound awesome!

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

Oh Calamity! I'm so envious. It sounds so wonderful and huge! You lucky girl. I can't wait to see it finished.

Hazie

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Today we got all the tile up using a jackhammer thingy and I used a $36/4hrs dohickey that has a serious razor blade and vibrates the glued down foam backing in lickety split time!!! It only took like an hour to do it all!!! Now the bad news...called the floor instal store and she won't be coming to check it out till wed!!! And the floor won't happen till next week!!!! Arg!!! But that's not all...my nemesis, painting..has reared it's ugly head and not only do I have to paint the walls, but the ceiling AND the baseboards!!! Oh..and the new door I bought!wink! I"M SO BAD!!! It has the glass in it and it was only $65 at the restore!!! It will look fine with the patio doors! The door it is replacing is a plain jane wooden door, uck! Can you believe all the painting I gotta do??!!! This is bad, very bad, as I am a VERY BAD PAINTER!!! I have never painted a ceiling and this one is the "popcorn" kind..HELP!! WHINE! Hmm, ya know how we sometimes sorta like sneak things in when the hubby isn't looking?? Well, how do I sneak a whole new door on?? All the while batting my helpless eyeslashes at him to help paint?!! Oh man I know why my Daddy called me Calamity now!!!

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Dang Janie! Suck it up. You're getting a new craft room!LOL!
    Painting the ceiling won't be too bad. You'll need a special roller for it though. Paint store dude will show you.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

It's a THICK roller. like BAMA said, the paint store dude will tell you! You don't have to worry about spilling paint on the floor! Or my favorite, spill then walk in it.

Well, it's a "used" door, so play up that aspect of it!

Maria

• PantherFL
    16 years ago

You are making progress with a capital P! As was said, at least you don't have to worry about paint on the floor if you hurry & get it done:) or hurry & get someone else to do it ~ I mean help you, LOL.

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

Ok, Janie Bo, I am following this lil project of yours, and thinkin', "Roni. Roni Roni Roni. You have ALL THAT EMPTY SPACE sitting out just beyond the 'inside-outside' door, to the rest of the barn that isn't house yet. Woman, pick yourself a couple hundred square feet of it and get crackin'!!! (whining now) But I wanted to wait til hubby gets my new bedroom built and expands the living room and...
    (sargeant voice now) WOMAN! I said Get Crackin'!!! You have worked on the dining table long enough! You may wait til doomsday if you keep waitin'! Get at it!"

hmmmmm...sometimes my inner voice can be very persuasive...

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

Paint store dude will show you.

Paint store DUDE? I laughed so hard I cried. I don't know why that struck me so funny . . .

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, this all started when DH and I decided we had $9000 to place into a household upgrade budget(My idea!). First decided on updating bathrooms. Then I decided I wanted a studio added onto the house, DH said I could have one or the other,(slip a possible move in here) Addition would of been like 25-30grand, Klinger suggests removing a wall and using what we've got. DH tries to weedle out of it, game on. Total cost of craft room, $1500, maybe 1-200 extra...so, new bathrm upgrades can still happen...AND DH decides he needs $5000 to go to Africa to build shelters for orphans. Done deal, all on same budget. WHEW! I know I sound manipulating but the alternative is fighting as his first words are always NO! I don't do no. He has agreed to do all the painting!!! And now that he is happy with the budget, he may take seeing that new door coming in ...with a grain of salt...He last word, no projects in 2008, I say: Yup, just small ones...he gets up and leaves the room....
    Here is some pics to show the bare floors(Yipppeeee), and the open door to visualize how the glass door will look!!!!

My Pics

Â

• seaglassic
    16 years ago

yeah, who the heck is this paint store dude? lol

and that popcorn ceiling...got great news for ya..
    it comes off really, really easily...just get a spray bottle of warm water and a scraper.
    it just slides away and falls to the floor.
    we did it to most of the house here.
    then, you could paint the ceiling a sky blue and sponge on large clusters of clouds...how 'bout that???

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

What's that white stuff outside your door? LOL!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh No! I'm leaving that popcorn ceiling! I'm sure it is like my clothing...hiding a multitude of sins!!! ha! Yup, that's snow out the door, our annual customary 2inches!!!
    Today I have 6 dogs, all under the 10lb size, and it is qiite noisey here today! Time to crank the tunes and start painting to the oldies!!! YeeHaw!

• klinger
    16 years ago

Ohhh, Janie-bo, you so make me laugh. You are the queen of makin hubbies do your will, hehe.I can't believe you got Ricardo to agree to do the painting. Good job. I think the window in that other door will really add a lot of natural light to the room. I think maybe some glass on glass on it would look very wonderful.See how good I am at thinkin up projects for you. This studio is so awesome, and what a cost saver compared to the idea of adding on. Now you'll use your space on a daily basis instead of that room just sitting unused. The floor looked like it came up really well, good you rented your thingamajig. I've heard that popcorn ceilings are easy to remove but never done it.You are just flying along with this project.
    Cindy

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh Cindy! You're the brains and I'm the braun>GOGidea! That makes 2 doors I gotta GOG! BTW: I thought You were buying a window for your door??? How's your fireplace coming? Got pics??? Last night I was so stiff and sore and tired!!! But seeing everybodies creativity here is pushing me along to get this done!!!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Coming along great!! I have popcorn ceilings everywhere, but like you Jane I'm afraid what they're hiding (I didn't do them), Maybe I can do the downstairs Shower, it's peeling anyway. If it's bad I can just mosaic it!!

Maria

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yup, 4 more sleeps till the floor guy is here. The floor I'm getting is a mustard yellow, it was the right price but more than I was originally quoted.Total is $772, 172 over original ruff guess. But double that to get a color I want so I'll make do. Was concerned about the wall colr matching it but a live and learn as I already bought the paint and it was $54 a can!! Hey, it ain't gonna have Martha Stewart working in here anyways! The final cost is looking more like $2000 now, even at a very reasonable $30/hr, Stan has had to do 25hrs of work me and hubby just couldn't do without his expertise!!! Mudding, custom oak step, just plain old expertise on everything, that man is THE MAN!!!ha! Little things like ceiling paint, mud, door knobs, rollers,paintbrushes...it all adds up and wasn't thought of in the original budget. So here is the new door up and ready for hardware...

• klinger
    16 years ago

Jane, you are trucking along. that door looks great there, such a lot more light coming in it. Why don't you get a second quote on your flooring, doesn't hurt to do so. Take your measurements into a place and get them to give you a price. Maybe you can get what you like for the same price somewhere else. This will look so awesome when you'rre done,
    Cindylw

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

I am so jealous. I would love all that room. Hmmmmmmm wonder if i took over one living room. LOL.. I do like my new work area. And soon as son leaves i get the room so i am happy to share right now with BF and his computers.

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

Janey-Bo: Are you still going with the lino? Everything is SO expensive! When we did our addition and tiled the floors, I kid you NOT....I only paid $1 per tile! Of course, then I paid $1500 for labor! But you could tile it yourself, no? You are QUITE the little manipulator, pusher of buttons, eh? Great studio so far.....

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's the darn mudding and sanding that is holding everything up!!! Decided today that my craft table will be 4ftx6ftx35"h! 4x4legs, 3/4inch plywood top and shelf,2x4 construction, wheels and a 2" lip all around to add my magnifying lights. Plus I am going to make specialty shelves for mosaic supplies: 4ft tall x 2ft wide x 6" deep. Table and shelves are not included in the craft room conversion budget...Bad Jane...Scheming out loud...
    Oh! And I just got a cool idea for a coffee table! I want to have two comfy chairs and a book shelf coffee table so I bought these 2ftx2ft bookshelves, will screw them back to back, put plywood on bottom and top, add wheels for turning and TADA! A cool coffee table/bookshelf! Now that's gotta be mosaiced!!! Tonight I gotta do a bit of sanding, prime the walls, clean up the floor(very messy drywall!!) Tomorrow and next day paint baseboard and walls(DH has abandoned me for work!) Long handled paint roller is my friend now!!! Did I mention I'm wheel obsessed? I seem to want wheels on Everything! I've been looking for just the right(right priced)chair to sit up to the craft table. Like Gretch's!

• PantherFL
    16 years ago

I love how you sound so excited (and for good reason mind you!) about this, and can't wait to hear how it all turns out. Then I can't wait to see what you do in there, I think the electricity in the air will inspire you to create some real goodies:)

• texaswild
    16 years ago

No time to read the whole thread - just wanted to check your progress. Girlie, you are one workaholic. Can't imagine myself doing all that hard work and taking time away from mosaicing. I KNOW you'll really enjoy this room. Whatcha planning to mosaic next - first project in your new room?

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Janey, that room is looking wonderful! Gosh, I just love those doors. I wouldn't cover them with anything because I would want ALL the light to come right through.

On your table, with a 2" overlap will you have enough room for your knees when you sit?

What are you putting on your floor? Have you thought about painting the cement? I've seen some very cretive painted cement floors. Or is it too cold in Canada? Then you could put throw rugs in your seating area.

I think we need a field trip to Canada when you're done.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living