SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissasangalang

GFI Zapping Sprinkler timer?

melissasangalang
15 years ago

Hi there- Just a bit of background: We moved to this home almost 2 years ago. The first problem we encountered with the wiring was about 9 months after we moved in. I noticed that one of the outlets in the upstairs bath was not working as well as an outlet and light switch downstairs. Called Home Warranty folks and they fixed problem with GFI in garage. Things were ok until recently when I noticed the front sprinklers were not working. I check the Toro timer and the screen is blank. Owner's Manual says I need a new battery and to check the fuse. I replace both. Sprinklers work! Later that day, I try to run through the cycle manually and there's an icon on the screen which translates to "the power is off". However, it is plugged in. I unplug and try plugging into another outlet. Same icon. Take trip to local hardware store and they say I need a new timer. Install new timer--it works! Later I try to again run through cycle manually (hot June in CA-and grass is thirsty!) and the icon is back! Now I'm thoroughly disgusted and frustrated. Later that night I realize that downstairs light and outlet that were out way back when are out again. I reset the GFI and those work, but timer is still showing no power icon. I renewed the home warranty, but I would like to know what's going on and how to prevent it not just "fix" it. I would also liekto stop zapping sprinkler timers since they're $50 each time! Any ideas? Sorry to be so long winded, I just thought more info would be best since you can't see what I'm talking about. Also-my hunch is that something is wrong with the GFI that's causing the untimely death of the timer. THANKS!! Melissa

Comments (2)