SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmqchdygg

Backsplash Update 11/25

mmqchdygg
16 years ago

Just a few more pix. Fixed piece #3 (right side under cabinets), and grouted pieces 1 & 2. The flamingos flew the coop; couldn't get them to work in the design:

Notes: Used the wet-saw (my NEW favorite tool) to cut the cup & dish-thing in half, the square beads are E-6000d onto the sea glass with the fish-line intact through them still, and I'm totally LOVING smalti!!!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

That round hay-wagon scene is the center of a plate (rest of plate used in pic #1 on the left), those wooden things are earrings I found for 98¢ a pair at Goodwill with the posts cut off with wire cutters...um, what else...oh, that little "thing" is just that: a "thing" I found at goodwill...cut in half with the wetsaw, 98% of the dishes used in this piece were from TJ Maxx

{{!gwi}}

Sorry about the flash on this one. Newbie lessons learned while grouting:

1. Get yourself a set of cheap wire brushes...they are a Godsend when taking the grout out from around beads, glass globs, and rocks...BUT...if you have a set of 3 types (black plastic bristles, silver bristles, and gold bristles), do NOT use the metal ones on rocks! They leave a metallic finish on your rocks (easily removed by using a toothbrush with a little grout to scrub that back off.)

2. Old toothbrushes are a necessity when working with uneven tesserae, and getting grout out of crevices of tesserae (ie: those black leaf-shaped beads)

{{!gwi}}

Still a few places where I'll have to get in with the razor-blade and dig out the edges of some tiles.

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

Comments (19)

Sponsored