SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
try_hard

Light automatically comes on when door opens, how to change that?

try_hard
15 years ago

My walk-in pantry does not have a light switch on the wall. Instead, there is a button thingy (technical term) in the doorway that depresses when the door closes and that turns off the light. When the door swings open, the button extends and the light comes on. I want to be able to leave my pantry door open for air circulation but I don't want the light to be on all the time. So far I've been wadding up a sock and jamming it between the door and the button so that the button is depressed even when the door is half-open. But that's getting old since every time I fully open the door, the sock falls out.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this issue? In my electrical-unsavvy imagination I envision some kind of plate that is affixed to the door frame, above the button, and when I need to turn off the light while leaving the door open, I slide the plate dow and it depresses the button for me.

Surely someone out there has had this problem before and has invented a genius way to get around it.

Thanks in advance!

try_hard

Comments (7)