SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boymom23

When to push for change w/builder & when to just go on? Windows

boymom23
11 years ago

I first of all have to say that we LOVE our builder! He built our last house and it was gorgeous, and the best house ever. (The main reason we're building now is to get a basement.) Anyway, I know we all have budgets and in the beginning of the bldg process, our builder told us one of the biggest ways to save $ was with our windows. In several rooms where there were supposed to be 5 windows across the room, we reduced the number of windows to 4, etc. That was fine with me. Now move forward to now... My windows and doors are all in. The dining room and the basement main room, immediately below the dining room, were supposed to have lovely french doors with transoms above them. Now that the doors/windows are in, they look NOTHING like I envisioned them, or how they are drawn on plan. I've included this pic. The top photo is our house, the dining room. The bottom photo I found here at GW, and it's the way I wanted mine to look. I've emailed our builder about this issue and told him I want to change the doors/windows to look like the bottom photo. He usually gets right back to me. This time, he simply texted my husband and said "We need to meet Monday and talk about windows and doors." Thus far, he usually meets with me about selections of things for the house, and only meets with my husband when it comes to money. This leads me to think it's going to be pricey $ to replace/fix this window issue. SO, to my questions: 1- how bad do you think my windows look? and 2 - When you're building your dream house (and paying A LOT of money for the house!), when do you push and when do you just let it go? I don't want to regret this window selection every day when I pass by my dining room. However, we are on a big time deadline and I don't want to hold things up, or upset my builder. Would love objective advice! Many thanks.

Comments (19)