SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom_2_4_gw

BM's First Challenge of the new Custody Agreement

mom_2_4
20 years ago

Well, I knew it would happen eventually!

BM still doesnt get it. She doesnÂt really realize that she no longer has custody. She thinks she can call us and make demands, and that we will just drop everything and do as she wishes. Wrong! Here's what's happening.

She will be in town Halloween weekend, and is demanding to be able to pick up my SD at a certain time. Well, no. We have plans already made so we advised her that she can pick up SD several hours later than she wishes. ThatÂs not good enough for her. Mind you, she only has legal visitation on certain holidays and summer  and this is not one of them. To top if off, my SD wants to attend the family function planned for that day (a birthday party) and have her mother pick her up afterwards.

Sooooo  last night BM called my SD and told her she would pick her up at the earlier time. My SD chose to sit next to me during this conversation, and I watched her squirm and fidget in her chair, still not quite emotionally able to stand up to her mother. We have noticed that my SD gets headaches after talking to her mother. Imagine that! Anyway, I asked to speak to BM. It annoys me that BM gives this child so much grief and headaches. BM refused to talk to me and quickly ended the conversation with SD, still insisting that sheÂd be there at the earlier time. I spoke to my husband, who is out of town, and he asked me to call BM back and set the record straight since heÂs out of town right now, traveling with limited phone coverage.

So, I call her. She doesnÂt understand why she canÂt pick up SD earlier. I told her that we have plans, and that SD wants to attend the birthday party with us. Well, she starts in on the kindergarten insults and accusations  like accusing us of poisoning SDÂs mind, telling her what to say  accusing me of lying, etc. She throws out insults along the lines of ÂI know you are, but what am I  so very, very immature and childish. I kept my cool, always steering the conversation back to the subject of what time she can pick SD up.

Then she says the most ridiculous thing! She says that each time she talks to SD (BM is anal and calls every Thursday at PRECISELY 7:30) she thinks thereÂs someone in the background coaching her. I felt that she was just lashing out, unable to handle not being in control. I calmly explained to her that this simply wasnÂt true  and she knew it. That SD always has the option of seeking privacy during their phone calls, and mostly she does. But sometimes she chooses to be in the room with others while talking to her mother. (I didnÂt tell BM this, but I think my SD seeks the comfort of being next to us during those times when her mother makes her feel the most awful and vulnerable).

I ended up having to hang up on this woman, because she only wanted to hurl insults and act like a child. We have also noticed that when we stand up to BM, my SD seems just so delighted to see someone who is NOT afraid of her mother and is perfectly willing too stand up to her nonsense. After talking to her mother, SD was sullen and quiet. After I spoke with her mom, SD was bouncy and giggly, singing songs and showering me with hugs. This morning she woke me up by pouncing on the bed, still giddy.

Another interesting point my SD has mixed feelings about spending time with her mother. While part of her wants to see her, she is also scared of the craziness. SD has blossomed in the normalcy of our house and knows that when she visits with BM she will have to live under their bended, twisted rules. (Remember that we suspect BM has NPD and we know that BMÂs husband is verbally abusive).

I am not looking forward to her visit next weekend, nor am I thrilled with sending my SD to them for Thanksgiving. I know that BM will chew her up and spit her out Âand that it will be pretty hard for my SD. So I worry about this.

Comments (8)